dog eating eggs out of the nest

Funny you should mention this as yesterday I found my dog slinking out of the chicken coop with an egg in his mouth. I would have thought our boxes were too high too. Today I left the pen door open just a crack, hoping to let the chickens out by keep the dog out, and it appears that our dog didn't get into the coop today - BUT it's also raining and he hates to get wet...

I bought an electric pet barrier. It is a wireless electric barrier that has a 2-12 ft radius. People use them to keep dogs out of the trash or a single room.

You can get one on Amazon for about $40.

PetSafe Pawz Away Instant Pet Barrier

Bringing up an older thread. I found my Pit Bull Mix in the nesting box yesterday and an egg in her mouth. She seems to have an egg addiction and begs to go outside to see the birds. She also wants to play with the rooster. I am thinking about running a strand from the electric fence that is nearby to zap her as she enters the coop. She doesn't hurt the chickens but she is annoying them. My other dog doesn't bother the eggs but does go in the coop, so he needs to be kept out too. Is the wire a good idea? I am also curious about the L shaped door.

I don't know about the L shaped door, but if you can make the electric fence so it zaps them as they're going into the coop, go for it! You can't be out there supervising every second. And dogs learn real quick once they've been shocked.

I ran a strand and it didn't take too long for the dogs to check it out. One dog knows about electric strands, saw it and walked away, the other one (the main culprit) hit it with her nose and yelped back to the house. Unfortunately I think one of the roosters hit it so I will turn the fence on only when the dogs are out and the coop is open.

Back
Top Bottom