dog evaluations... what is the best age

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
If you are evaluating a litter of pups for showing what is the best age to do your main evaluation? I remember reading somewhere that at a certain age they are said that it is what they will look like as an adult. I can't remember the age... any help?? Oh and btw this is for Basset Hounds if that helps :)

Eight weeks, for the breeds I am involved with - collies and shelties. They say that what is see at eight weeks is what you will eventually have as an adult. That has to be on faith, because man do they ever go through some awkward gawky "teenage" stages.

For conformation evaluation about 8 weeks is usually the rule of thumb, at that age I've been told by many breeders that the pups will look very much like they do at 8 weeks as they do as adults. After about 9 weeks the pups go through uneven growth streaks where their body will look to long or legs to long or whatever.
smile.png

what evaluation method are you using? I know that there are a couple of different ones. My breeder did evals at 4, 6, and 8 weeks. pretty significant changes in the pups too!

We evaluate right when they are born. My mother has been doing this since she 7 and is able to tell right after they are born. SHe gets her favorit and keeps an eye on it. But around 6 months old is when they either fall apart or come together very nicely.

I used to raise multi-champion Bluetick Coonhounds. Part of it is breeding two show/hunt champions together. It is impossible for me to pick a show pup that early. Granted, you can tell early on if there is some real point killers like the bite, or other obvious faults. I don't usually know until the are about 5 to 6 mos. old if they are what I expect in true show quality. By then, I can better evaluate their stance, size, and color. It could be just my breed because Blueticks go through several body changes that I call the "uglies". It takes several months for them to grow into their true show potential or NOT.

Last edited:
You can start evaluating at 3 days at least just for basic conformation but breed type takes longer! Usually, 8 weeks is the rule of thumb but I like to start at 6 weeks and go from there and yes, they do change a LOT! But the basics must be there for structure, conformation, quality of bone if its important in your breed etc., type is subjective and also the last to really develop. So what you choose now may not be all that you hoped for.

If you are using outcrossed bloodlines, expect more variation than linebred bloodlines though I do not advocate line or inbreeding for most breeders and if used by experienced breeders, used very judiciously with full knowledge of what is behind all ancestors of both pedigree sides!

I've evaluated many litters of different breeds for the past 45 years and still have trouble sometimes with my own breed because of attachments etc so that is when I asked trusted, knowledgable friends in the breed, over for additional set of eyes on evaluation.

Best of luck!

There is no way to evaluate anything but "cute" from your photos. In order for any evaluation to take place, the puppies must be properly stacked on a level surface, and photos taken perpendicular to the puppies from near shoulder height of the puppies. Front and rear shots are also helpful.

From the photos offered, toplines look pretty sketchy and that is a big part of the Basset Hound.

JMO.

Stack them on a level non skid surface and get someone else to take the photos.

Back
Top Bottom