Dog Experts, What Would You do if...

I wouldnt say anything to the dog or make eye contact really. I would stand up tall and straight and remain relaxed and calm and stare off into the distance. If the dog wants to eat me there isnt much i am going to be able to do but try and avoid the situation. Once the dog got to my personal space, i would walk away non-threateningly and at a normal pace. Ive had to do this before... i think the best thing is remaining calm and not acting like a threat to the dog, but also not acting weak either.

When I go for a walk by myself I ALLWAYS carry my handgun (have permit to carry), you never know what crazy you might walk up on out and about... I was taught to never confront a strange dog unless you had the means to follow-thru with what you wanted it to do.

OK, back to your case...

I would stand still, in a loud stern voice tell it No, Go home... And start slowly backing away, looking for a weapon to protect myself. If I could not find anything and the dog charged to attack this is what I would do...

Set myself to catch this dog, when dog opened mouth to bite, put my fist as far down his throat as I could grab his windpipe/ throat and try to crush and twist to kill. Remember at 140 lbs. you will most likely be mauled and left for dead by this said dog.

The reason I told this is because IT DID happen to me, good thing I used to train K-9 and SAR dogs and knew how to set myself to catch this dog when he launched in to the air to attack me. It was a Rott/ Pit/Mastiff? mix about 115 lbs. that someone had abused (dog was all scarred up and thin)and then dumped to fend for himself. YES, I hate that the dog had to loose his life that day, but I will do it again if I have too. It was man's fault not the dog.

Maye

Quote:
Can you pinpoint specifically what about my description, said 'hostile manner' to you?

making direct eye contact is actually a dominant response in a dog.

I do see that I mis-read part of the post. thought it said "hackles were up" In that case, I would still yell at the dog, but if it continued to approach after that, I would defend myself. Esp in light of the fact that it matches the description of an aggressive dog. Since you said that the dog continues to advance after being told to "git" that is also a sign of it not being afraid.

lol im sorry but dogs dont speak english and if it were never tought "get" as a command it would be like telling the dog "blagablooganeenerbuhhhh". Basically if the dog ignores that its not necessarily being agressive, it just might not understand the command.

Where I live, Unless you know the dog as one of your nieghbors (which we do and by names)... We have 6 nieghbors on a dead end road, with acres of cattle & hay fields between us. If it is a stray, or a "roamer", have alot of un-neutered males, owners who just let their dogs wander & don't care about respecting others property, and wild/aggressives. My nieghbors will run them off 1st, if they return, or if they don't run off they just get their gun & shoot period...

A dog with head up, direct stare, and motionless tail coming in at a straight on approach can be an aggressive dog. It can also just be confident/aware/alert, especially in some breeds. A change to a fast charge would definitely make my mind up. If possible, getting a look at the ear position, and how tight the lip corners are can help add to that description. I would stand still in a position that faced the dog. If I spoke, it would be in a calm, even voice. I would not make eye contact, and would stand in a manner that looked still and non-threatening, but that I could throw blocks and strikes out quickly if needed. Since it is a large dog, keeping my legs at the proper angle of alignment to better brace and balance would be key. I would wait for the dog to leave.

The reason I told this is because IT DID happen to me, good thing I used to train K-9 and SAR dogs and knew how to set myself to catch this dog when he launched in to the air to attack me. It was a Rott/ Pit/Mastiff? mix about 115 lbs. that someone had abused (dog was all scarred up and thin)and then dumped to fend for himself. YES, I hate that the dog had to loose his life that day, but I will do it again if I have too. It was man's fault not the dog.

Woah!​

Last edited:
"SHOOT HIM?"

Remember, we're going to let everyone speak their mind without getting after them. The point that I'm trying to get to, is that there are many different responses to the exact same description, even among very experienced dog trainer/owners.

In this particular case, the description that the gal gave me, was very puzzling and odd - there was no overt growling, but the dog kept advancing on her without showing any friendliness, any tail wag, just a very direct look, and yes, she felt it challenging.

She got a very, very odd feeling from the dog. She isn't a trainer, but this approach made her distinctly uncomfortable. She said it was behavior unlike any dog she's ever seen in her entire life. No indication of friendliness, yet not clearly growling either.

She did believe that the dog was the same one that had been involved in the bite incident; she didn't know the circumstances of the bite incident.

We have many loose dogs in my area so I was very curious as to what you folks thought.

Our tactic is to put up a very high electric fence, though we feel a determined dog could still get in.

Known dog attack by a similarly described dog in the area, dog approaching in a dominant fashion - no indication of friendliness/happiness. If possible I would get up a tree, into a vehicle or building. I would full well expect that this dog was about to attack. Hopefully I would be carrying a gun and if the dog initiated attack, it would be dead. Remember not only barking, growling dogs bite. The last dog that got away with biting me approached slowly while wagging it's tail.

Quote:
no, dogs don't understand English, but they do understand a confident firm command and a "waving away" arm motion. They will at least stop and look to figure out the situation. If the dog pays no mind at all and continues approaching in the same manner, then yes I would shoot it.

Dogs, esp strays, are pretty used to the motions people use to chase them off.

If you're seeing a 140lb dog that is 3 feet tall at the shoulder I'd say go back to sleep because you're dreaming. It's much more likely this persons fear about a strange dog at large made the animal appear much larger than it really is, kind like folks who think thye saw "a 600lb bear" in their yard when in actuality it was more like a 175lb juvenile that caught them by surprise! If you have a stray dog problem that the authoroties won't acknowledge, try to keep a firearm on you when alone or have some (adult) w/ you, lone dogs are less likey to engage if they see you have company.

Back
Top Bottom