Dog Experts, What Would You do if...

Quote:
Dogs that big aren't common, but they happen. I know a few Anatolians and kangals that size ( and believe me, I am always skeptical about claims of 36in dogs, but I've met them. I had one, a rescue, whose shoulders touched the top of the 36in high crate I had.)

Either way, I'd try to relax, and talk to the dog in a normal but sweet tone "hey buddy, whatcha doin?", turn slightly sideways and see what he did.

Quote:
My first thought would be panic for my chickens/cats/goat. I would feel I need to get this dog contained so it can't do harm to my animals.

My other thought would be, "holy crap, what is my dog gonna do?" When I walk in my fields I always have my dog, that could possibly turn into quite a mess. But if she did engage in a fight with the dog, I would run home and get my animals confined to safety. I would then call Animal Control and then return to the field to see what's going on and go from there. The stray dog must be contained.

I also carry a gun, but I would let the dog decide it's fate. I would be darn certain it was going to attack before I'd pull the trigger. I also carry a knife as well. I guess when I do go for walks in the woods/fields I prepare myself for situations like this since we have lots of bear and coyotes (and plus you never know what kind of creepy humans could be lurking around*spooky*)

But for the situation that is presented here...um, well I wouldn't run. I would try to walk backwards towards home/safety as calmly as I could without looking like a retreating prey animal (if that could be done?)

Very interesting thread!
smile.png

Quote:
I was on a local farm a couple of weeks ago and they had a great pyranese that's the largest dog I've ever seen... easliy 140 lbs and 3' at the shoulder., probably heavier and I'm going to guess well over 3'. I've had a number of dogs that were over 100 lbs, so I've got a pretty good idea of what I"m looking at. if this big pyr stood up on his hind legs and put his paws on my shoulders, i'd have been looking at his chest between his elbows. really.big.dog.
sure, fear can amplify the size of an animal in someone's recall, but that size isn't impossible. great pyranese and kangals get that size.

It's a predator. It doesn't belong on your property. It's not a natural wildlife inhabitant. If it doesn't run off when shouted at and doesn't have a collar and act friendly/submissive---------------protect yourself and your family.

If the dog was approaching me and i wasnt sure what he was going to do..i would first try a simple.."HEY!" or "STAY!!".,..or "SIT!".. and put my hand up as a signal (never know, he may have been trained.
lol.png
)
If i thought he was friendly, i would have him follow me home and i would call the dog officer...or try to check his tag... (although, i would be REALLY leary of trying to touch a dog i didnt know..)
If i thought he was interested in me, but still fearful, i would start to walk slowly and calmly back to my house, talking calmy the whole way back, and not turn my back on the dog...
If i thought he was going to attack i would first try to use my voice and body to make myself "bigger" to him..to hopefully make him think twice before attacking me...
roll.png

If he attacked me... well,.. what you DONT do is run..IMO..
I guess i would have to stand my ground... i know i can put a big dog down on the ground(having raised several giant breed dogs).. but the LAST thing you really want to do is do that, because they will just go into more of an attack/panic mode, then you're really in trouble and i can guarantee you WILL get bit.. (but if i HAD to do it, i feel confident that i could flip the dog *and get bit at the same time also*.. but then it would just get back up again... but maybe it would make it more "leary" of me??) NAh... probably a bad idea..
gig.gif
So... not sure what i would really do there... some say get in the fetal position and protect your head /face/neck/stomach....
But if you have to fight, you have to fight... go for the eyes, if its latched on to your arm/leg... take your other hand and gouge out its eyeball.. *sorry sounds gross, but i bet it would work..*... or if you can get it down and get your hands around its throat...

Last edited:
Is this an unaltered male? Any female in heat can cause males to become aggressive. I worked as an Animal Control Officer/ Cruelty Investigator for 6 years and here's my experience. I sweet talk but in an upright, confident manner. See if you get any positive reaction. Remain CALM, act as though you are not concerned, pretend as though your paying little attention. I have even called them to me which will make a dog up to no good stop to think a minute. If you are attacked, putting your fist down the throat of the dog is an excellent idea. It saved my life once. Carry some pepper spray, it can give you those few extra moments to get away, if it doesn't stop the attack all together. Your local shelter probably rents dog traps. Normally a deposit is required and is returned when trap is. Good Luck

Quote:
This would be my first approach. I might also try an exaggerated yawn or two. (See Calming Signals: The Secret Language of Dogs by Turid Rugas)

For me a 140 pound dog is not that large so my available and appropriate response will be different from some. Give dog chance to recognize slowly escalating risk signs. I start by walking indirectly towards dog slowly and deliberately and speak or mumble in a deep voice. I look in its general direction but not directly into its eyes until within 10 feet or so, then turn walk into dogs path and slow down. This will give dog time to size you up and get strong indications you are operating on home turf. Then stop, gaze in his direction horizontally as if you are arrogant. I reserve the direct stair into dogs eyes if MY intentions are aggressive. Ideally, this will be the time dog will either give submission signals or cut behind to get my scent which is in itself and indication dog is attempting to verify ID. Stop for either approaching option so long as no growling produced. Make responses slow and hold head / gaze horizontal even when looking in dog's direction. Dog is most likely to move away or consider you a freindly dominant which will be most likely outcomes. If aggressive stance by dog indicated by either growling or rapid movements, then you may have a fight on your hands. Hopefully both parties are up on shots if latter comes to be. For those with experience, dog bites hurt and the dog to be most scared of is not going to waste time going after arms and hands, he will be going after your mid-section and may deliver crushing bites to your legs as it gets there. Attack at your throat is only after you are largely subdued.

Running from dog is a major no-no unless you have 10 feet to run and he has more than 100 feet. Even slow LGD's can out sprint a human. I would back away slowly always facing into dog but do not make rapid movements and protect your ass and abdomen. Get to something you can put your back to or get inside. Brandishing a weapon will probably not catch dog's concern list unless it is a large stick. If stick is available, swing down not horizontally. Do not swing unless you are certain you can ring dogs bell since if you miss he can get at your core before you can cock for a second swing.

Your weapons options and defensible position options can greatly influence what you can do. I would not use a firearm until intentions of dog are known to be aggressive and he is in close enough for a high propability shot at head, especially if weapon is of single shot variety.

Quote:
So you didnt like my gouging out the eyeball idea??
gig.gif

It would an option to use with right thumb as dog mawls left arm or more critical body part. You would have to be able to restrain dogs head during gouging effort which dogs are very well suited to avoid. In closeup scrap, I would target rear legs. Going after eyes will put your best assets (hands) very close to and likely in the dogs best asset (mouth). Targeting head and neck his how dogs fight fair. Dogs and wolves with intent to do real harm to outsiders go after limbs and abdomen. For humans, the limbs as a target on a dog are easier to damage. No matter how you do it, things will get messy.

Back
Top Bottom