Dog food for chickens?

Miss717

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2011
Rushville, NE
My chickens seem to have developed a liking for dog food. Is this a problem? Is it ok for a chicken to eat dog food? What am I doing wrong that they think they need to eat dog food?
hu.gif
Also, how much feeding space/length should I have for 14 hens and a rooster?

Last edited:
Commonly on this board

coop = 4 square foot a bird

run = 10 square foot per bird

(more is always better)

------

I would want them eating chicken food, its best for chickens (unless you have a vertebrae nutrition duel degree) .

Most animals will eat the highest protein they can find, most dog food has more protein then chicken food, most cat food higher then dog food.

Extra protein is bad on the kidneys of animals so its best each animal gets the correct % protein in their diet.

I think dog food is fine to feed to them although if its me, i wouldnt make it their everyday meal. Im not an expert at chickens but maybe the reason they eat dog food is just because its a new taste to them. You could try feeding them a variety of foods except make sure you know if chickens should it them.

I have to guard the dog food from my girls..They drive me nuts! The dog is just not mean enough to keep them at bay..So, I've taken to feeding her inside, or just making sure she's hungry enough to eat it quickly...I did not buy that food for them!

More than likely you are feeding a chicken feed that doesn't contain any animal protein. The dog food probably contains either chicken by-products or simply says animal by-products; or some such thing.

Chickens love meat. They are not herbivores. Thus, what they like about the dog food is what is missing from their diet: meat.

I used to feed my dogs their rmbs outside sometimes. I cannot do that when the chickens are free - they will devour whatever the dogs have but seem especially fond of venison...? Who'd have thunk it?

Quote:
I agree with saladin.
The animal protein is most likely what there going after. By chance are you feeding your birds Purina (Flock Raiser, Layena or Layena "Plus Omega-3")?

Chris

Chickens have never been vegetarian. They'll kill things and eat them even... sometimes each other. That being said, I actually buy cat food for mine, throw them a handful every couple of days when they can't get let out to catch crickets. I have TONS of crickets in my yard, but can't always let them our to catch them. One day they get a handful of grass/weeds, the next day some tomatoes or fruit, then some kitty food.

As a treat it's fine, just make sure that they have a continual supply of layer feed. Don't let them fill up on it or anything, they're not dogs or cats.

Thanks everyone for the info. Doesn't sound like to big a deal that they're eating the dog food. I guess i'll worry if they start barking. LOL. The brand of layer I feed is called "Home Grown". It comes from the local co-op that my husband works at. I did get some more today, but bought some with 20% protein instead of 18%. I really enjoy this website and being able to communicate with other chicken lovers like me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom