dog got into coop worried about my hens

Bill and brit

Hatching
Aug 23, 2015
Our dog got into our coop last night and killed four of our chickens and injured one. She was just trying to play with them and didn't realize she was being rough with them. The hen that was hurt was just starting to lay eggs. Will she stop while she is hurt and stressed? Should I be worried about anything else? also we have one chicken that I don't know if its a rooster or hen that is picking on the one that was hurt. It also seems to want to attack me now. Should I be worried about that chicken as well? How long will it take the hen to start laying eggs again? Just FYI We secured the coop a lot better last night and she is not allowed outside by herself anymore.

A dog attack can stress them enough to stop laying for 2 months or more.

Chickens will try to kill the weak bird to make the flock stronger.

Dogs and chickens don't mix. They can't help themselves.

Good news, or hen laid an egg last! The rooster is back in with the other chickens as well. Other good news or dog won't go on the side of the yard where the coop is. It seems all is well for now. :)

Good news, or hen laid an egg last! The rooster is back in with the other chickens as well. Other good news or dog won't go on the side of the yard where the coop is. It seems all is well for now. :)

That egg was already in the works. It was going to happen. You typically see a drop in production after a stressful event of a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom