Dog has itchy, dry, patchy, red, swollen skin.

My female golden is allergic to some type of grain, we havent found out what, the vets think its corn. She had little bumps all over when on grain food. After switching to grain free she didnt get the bumps and actually wanted to eat. I add in vegtables to her food(although she prefers grain free).

She also gets hotpsots and we found that around June to August is her peak season for her environmental allergies.

Poor thing! I have a Sheltie (male, bloody lunatic) and a female Golden now. What do you do about the hot spots? Do they live in the house or out? What part of the world are you in? We're in SE Missouri where our summers are hot and very humid. They live mostly in the house and in the summer they find the coolest spots they can.

Poor thing! I have a Sheltie (male, bloody lunatic) and a female Golden now. What do you do about the hot spots? Do they live in the house or out? What part of the world are you in? We're in SE Missouri where our summers are hot and very humid. They live mostly in the house and in the summer they find the coolest spots they can.
We get a medication from the vet that she goes on for a week. She has gotten three hotspots in the past 2 years. First starting around 8 months.
The last one she had was huge and we actually had to shave away some of her fur.
She lives in the house, but loves being outside.
our summers can be hot and humid here in Wisconsin.

The biggest thing is making sure she is dried off after baths to, the vet says the moisture can make them worse.

We get a medication from the vet that she goes on for a week. She has gotten three hotspots in the past 2 years. First starting around 8 months.
The last one she had was huge and we actually had to shave away some of her fur.
She lives in the house, but loves being outside.
our summers can be hot and humid here in Wisconsin.

The biggest thing is making sure she is dried off after baths to, the vet says the moisture can make them worse.
I have Goldens. Hot spots can be such a trial, sometimes. I trim and shave the area, clean with Witch Hazel, apply a dusting of Gold Bond powder and cone the dog until healed. Some get them because of allergies. Some because of an environmental irritant. I had a girl who got them because of stress. Whenever a new puppy joined the family - boom! Hot spot.

Your vet is right, of course. Some of my past Shelties suffered hot spots. I try to do a better job of keeping them groomed now. Old coat building up was the cause back then. I was a little careless and not as aware as I should have been. I can't groom them myself any more but I have them done. Sammy (Sheltie) goes in on Tuesday. I'll take Jenny the following week. They are both blowing their coats and it's all I can do to keep up with the hair in the house! Why, oh why can't I love short-hair breeds? 🤷‍♀️

I have Goldens. Hot spots can be such a trial, sometimes. I trim and shave the area, clean with Witch Hazel, apply a dusting of Gold Bond powder and cone the dog until healed. Some get them because of allergies. Some because of an environmental irritant. I had a girl who got them because of stress. Whenever a new puppy joined the family - boom! Hot spot.
I had no idea stress could be a factor!

I didn't realize stress can cause them!
Hotspots can be a trial especially when our old vet didnt know what they were aparently.

Your vet is right, of course. Some of my past Shelties suffered hot spots. I try to do a better job of keeping them groomed now. Old coat building up was the cause back then. I was a little careless and not as aware as I should have been. I can't groom them myself any more but I have them done. Sammy (Sheltie) goes in on Tuesday. I'll take Jenny the following week. They are both blowing their coats and it's all I can do to keep up with the hair in the house! Why, oh why can't I love short-hair breeds? 🤷‍♀️
I try to groom every other day. Especially during coat blowing.
Suprisingly my male golden hasnt started blowing his coat yet.

Our house can be cleaned 10 times a day and 5 minutes later there is still fur. But i wouldnt trade them for the world.

I try to groom every other day. Especially during coat blowing.
Suprisingly my male golden hasnt started blowing his coat yet.

Our house can be cleaned 10 times a day and 5 minutes later there is still fur. But i wouldnt trade them for the world.
Oh absolutely. I can't be without a dog. Or two.

Back
Top Bottom