Dog has itchy, dry, patchy, red, swollen skin.

From the title of your post, I would try oatmeal shampoo as that's very soothing to their skin and non-allergenic. We have some for our dogs. The other thing is the food. Perhaps one of the non-allergenic type foods would help, or something with no grains. We got some of that for our cat who had very dry skin and was pulling out his hair. It's helping.

As for the weight, what kind of dog is it? What makes her think her dog has cancer? I'm no vet but if she really believes that, she should take it to a vet to be checked for that and the skin problems. I hope her dog gets better!

From the title of your post, I would try oatmeal shampoo as that's very soothing to their skin and non-allergenic. We have some for our dogs. The other thing is the food. Perhaps one of the non-allergenic type foods would help, or something with no grains. We got some of that for our cat who had very dry skin and was pulling out his hair. It's helping.

As for the weight, what kind of dog is it? What makes her think her dog has cancer? I'm no vet but if she really believes that, she should take it to a vet to be checked for that and the skin problems. I hope her dog gets better!
I don't know why she thinks her dog has cancer but I know when my pitbull got cancer he went from 88lbs to 62lbs. I don't know if she can afford to get her dog to the vet. I will try to get her some oatmeal shampoo. Thank you for the advice.

I would schedule a Vet visit.

This dog could be suffering from a host of things. Getting it checked out by a Vet now will in the long run, save you money.

Oatmeal shampoo is great, but what if is just provides temporary relief? Over bathing can be harmful to the skin too.

Grain free dog food is not cheap. And a lot of times (not always) it's protein that dogs are allergic to (chicken or beef et al).

Your Vet can help diagnose what is going on, get you prescription medicated shampoo, perform a skin scraping (to check for external parasites) or further diagnostic allergy testing.

Good luck!

She wasn't able to get her to the vet but she did get her some type of meds for it. Apparently it's a case of the dog is allergic to grains but she won't eat grain free food.
So is it cleared up? My late Sheltie was also allergic to grains, especially corn. This allergy manifested in dry flaky skin but also in occasional seizures. We tried different foods but the one that finally worked for her was Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison. I believe it does contain brown or maybe wild rice. The thing was, we could not entirely stop Gracie from helping herself to a little of the cracked corn in the scratch we threw out to the chickens, so she continued to have a little dandruff, but she never got enough to ever suffer seizures again.

Back
Top Bottom