Dog House Coop?

I built some quick nest boxes on the floor, hopefully they'll lay in there. I didn't want to put them higher than the roosts...to avoid everyone roosting on & pooping in the nests
sickbyc.gif
. I also put together a small roost in the back. I will have to have someone get some thick plywood for the roof so that it can get done tomorrow. The ventelation will be under where the roof hangs over, covered with wire of course.

I'm glad i got most of it done today though. I have to go have surgery tomorrow so i will be useless for a while. But i have someone that's going to finish it for me.

Still To Do:
-Roof/Roofing
-Ramp
-Window
-Door...
Then stilts to keep it off the ground.

Should be done after a few days.
smile.png

I'm thinking of Hinging half the roof, for better cleaning access & more ventelation during summer. It will be roofed with 3tab roofing. Anyone done this? or what does everyone think of this?

I'm just worried about it jepordizing the roofing, will it even hurt it?

Here is my picture of my converted dog house. I have 3 buff orpingtons. I have one nest box and one roosting pole. I put the food and water under the nest box to conserve on space. The problem I have is that it needs to be covered with a tarp to keep the heavy rain out. I need to work on that before the winter. I am hoping to build a new coop soon. It is difficult to get into to clean. I have the roosting pole in the back which makes it difficult to clean. I love the way it looks but it is flawed as far as ease to clean. The pen is enclosed with hardware cloth on the sides and chicken wire on the bottom. I only have lattice on the top but I cover with tarps and will be putting chicken wire to re-inforce it. I can move the pen to clean and have since built a door on the side to get into the pen.

32402_coop5.jpg

I put newpaper with a bit of shavings on it, but it is a tight squeeze. I probably could figure something out to make it easier on myself.

Quote:

Quote:

If you can get a board under the roost that you can pull out to clean a couple of times a week it will make things sooo much easier. I need to redesign my whole roosting set up but thanks to the great folks here on byc I learned about dropping boards and it has really helped.

Quote:
Yes I am!

frow.gif
Hi neighbor!

How old are your pullets? Mine are about 28 weeks and I just started getting eggs about 2 weeks ago. They are so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom