Dog hunting my chickens!

RazorDuck

Chirping
Mar 10, 2019
Missouri
My chickens are 9 weeks old, and I just moved them into the big coop. My dog is a half lab, half cocker spaniel, and about 9 years old. We've only trained her to come when called and to sit. When they were in the brooder, she would always be sitting near them, staring and listening closely. Now that they're out in the coop, which has been there for about a week, she's been walking around, looking for a way inside. The chickens are still young enough that I can keep them confined in the coop, and we went to great lengths to keep the coop predator proof, but I'd like to let them outside soon. Any advice on how to keep my dog from frightening or killing them would be appreciated.

My chickens are 9 weeks old, and I just moved them into the big coop. My dog is a half lab, half cocker spaniel, and about 9 years old. We've only trained her to come when called and to sit. When they were in the brooder, she would always be sitting near them, staring and listening closely. Now that they're out in the coop, which has been there for about a week, she's been walking around, looking for a way inside. The chickens are still young enough that I can keep them confined in the coop, and we went to great lengths to keep the coop predator proof, but I'd like to let them outside soon. Any advice on how to keep my dog from frightening or killing them would be appreciated.
At best you've got a crap shoot. Really strong prey drive there. Sometimes dogs will realize their human doesn't want this to be food and will refrain. Other times not so much. Best thought I have is leash her when you let them out and see how she responds. You'll know if she sees new family members or food fairly quickly. If she sees food, you'll probably need to keep her confined when they are out.

Well, I’ve had terrible experiences with dogs obsessed with chickens. Turns out she plucked my roosters tail feathers. Does the dog bark? Are the chickens scared? We have a dog that barks at our chickens and they’re oblivious. We have a fence around our coop and run, so they’re safe when foraging. We lock our dog on our porch when they’re out. I find it very hard to control an animals prey drive, so locking the dog up is your best bet.

You could try putting her on a leash and taking her around the chickens and have her sit and give her treats While the chickens run around you. I saw this method on YouTube and have been using it to train our puppy and it seems to be working, the ducklings walked right through his area yesterday and he didn’t chase or bark at them.

My kelpie comes out with me all the time when I am with the sheep or the chickens are free ranging. In saying that though, I would never let her in with either when I am not supervising. The rooster has flown over the fences a couple of tones and she hasn’t eaten him but never trust a dog unsupervised. Ever.

A fenced run is your best bet to keep your chickens safe from your dog as well as any other predators or neighbor dogs in the area.
Actually we let them out in our garden. It has 4x4 posts wrapped with very sturdy wire 6 1/2 ft. tall with another foot of barbed wire on top. I'm worried about her digging under the fence where water runs off and makes large ruts. I'm also worried about her barking and frightening my chickens.

Last edited:
Actually we let them out in our garden. It has 4x4 posts wrapped with very sturdy wire 6 1/2 ft. tall with another foot of barbed wire on top. I'm worried about her digging under the fence where water runs off and makes large ruts. I'm also worried about her barking and frightening my chickens.

Your birds will likely get used to and ignore the dog barking. If you are worried about something digging under the fence I'd recommend adding an apron around the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom