Dog I bred is a Hero!

NYboy

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
White plains
7 years ago a young family came to my kennel looking for a Cavalier King Charles puppy. Their 10 year old son was just diagnose with Diabetes and learning how to give himself insulin injections. The parents thought a puppy would raise his sprits. When I bought the family into my puppy room a male puppy raced over to them. He rolled on his back for tummy rubs, it was love at first sight. They took the puppy home and named him Cody. For 7 years Cody was a much loved member of the family. When Cody was 3 a baby was added to the family. Babbies ear and tail tugs where met with wet doggy kisses causing squeals of delight. When Cody would come in for grooming, mom would say how they couldn't of gotten a better dog.
One night very late Cody went into the parents bedroom and started whining. Dad half awake figured Cody's arch enemy the neighbors cat was in the backyard, ordered Cody to lay down. Cody then did something he never did before, he started howling. a long soul wrenching howl of a animal in distress. Mom and dad became wide awake, knowing something was very wrong. Like any parents there first thought was the children. When they entered their 17 year old son's room, they found him trashing about in a diabetic seizure. A call to 911, paramedics, ambulance ride, long night in the emergencyroom and thiis story has a happy ending. A diabetic seizure is very serious, if medical treatment is not given the person goes into a coma and then death. If Cody didn't wake his family this story might not have a happy ending.
Now to convince mom and dad Cody can't live on steak.

thumbsup.gif
Awesome

very very cool!

I know they are training some dogs to detect blood sugar issues in diabetics, and some for seisures. pretty amazing things a dog can do... and to know to communicate it without having been trained to do so, that's the coolest thing of all.

Back
Top Bottom