Dog is POISONED. Maybe ate a D-Con Mouse. WORRIED.

Aww! So sorry about your dog.
sad.png

Quote:
What the heckydoo is the Met. for????? I'd stop that immediately if you KNOW it was a poisoned rat.

Brief on Met. - A drug used to treat bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections. It is also being studied in the treatment of some cancers.

Last edited:
I REALLY don't know what caused the problem. Just making a guess. I don't know of anything else that could have caused this.

I will do some research (Internet) on Metronidazole.

I tried the peanut-butter idea (since we share peanut butter/jelly sandwiches in the Mornings) No LUCK THERE.

THANKS, all
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. Anybody know any voo-doo cures?
wink.png

Yep. up to date on shots.

My 2 Boxers don't go anywhere but here at home. They have plenty of room here. Only other critters around them are occasional "cat-invaders" who don't stick around and the sparrows, doves, ravens, etc. (They occasionally catch one.)

They don't go where my chickens are either.

Gotta be a mouse.

Thanks for the thoughts! ANY ideas are deeply appreciated !!!

My "kids" are grown. These boys (boxers) are my family now. I'm VERY FOND of them BOTH!

Boone, the sick one, is the "daddy". His son, Crockett, is nearing 3 years old.

THANKS for your concerns and Help !
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

The met was most likely to reduce inflammation in the bowels though I've never heard of it used for poisoning cases, very odd.

But if you have black/tarry stools it's upper GI bleeding, is he throwing up any blood? I'd force feed an antacid (10 mg famotidine) for a few days along with some calcium carbonate (tums) to absorb some of the phosphates he's filtering through his kidneys, too high a level will damage them. And with poisoning, kidney shut down is all too common.

For food, get an oral syringe for horses, or as big of one as you can find and pack it with something bland to keep from further damaging his digestive system. White rice and ground beef is good, just puree it and add enough broth to make it easier to force feed. Force the gatorade, as much and as often as you can!!

Don't know why the vet would send him home, he needs to be on IV fluids for a at least few days or at least have sub-q available at home.

Hope that's helped a little.

THANKS, buck-wild-chick !

(I LIKE your "statement" : Ride 'em like you stole 'em)

Ha-Ha ! GOOD ATTITUDE for a GOOD RIDER !

(I ride 'em like they are lookin' to throw me in cactus.)
wink.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:
Yup. Fluids will definitely help the kidneys and liver, no matter what happened, and subcutaneous fluids are easy to do at home.

Edit because my keyboard still can't spell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom