Dog is POISONED. Maybe ate a D-Con Mouse. WORRIED.

I agree with KD.....although I would use skinless, boneless boiled chicken breast instead of the ground beef. Beef is more of a complex protein than chicken and thus would be a bit harder on the digestive tract. Our vet always recommends boiled chicken breast, nothing added to flavor it, plus white rice. Once you've boiled the chicken breast, you could use the water(with the chicken flavoring in it) to try and entice him to drink it. If he does well with that then move on to the chicken/rice. When one of our dogs had cancer I would puree the chicken/rice mixture and feed it to her through a syringe. She too wouldn't eat anything but this seemed to wake up her taste buds for some reason. Good luck with your dog.
hugs.gif
I hope he makes a full recovery!!!!
fl.gif

KDbeads,

Very helpful. THANKS.
smile.png

He just now vomited thin watery blood. Then I gave him 25 mg. Vitamin K.

I'll wait a short while (for him to settle down......he's uncomfortable and, I think, scared.) I'll wait a short while and then try to get some chicken broth down him with a syringe.

I've got plenty of rice to puree if I can get the broth down him ok.

THANKS AGAIN ! (Right now...I'm afraid I might lose him......I may be up all night.)
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

White meat chicken has more phosphates than ground beef though if he will eat it it's better than nothing!!! (I'm just worried about kidney function with the meats, I've had too many here with kidney issues after poisoning)

Junkmanme... could you possibly get sub-q fluids from the vet in the morning? Easy to inject, I do it here all the time with my CRF dog. Fluids are going to help tremendously.

I will third or fourth getting him back to the vet. The dog may need a transfusion and sounds like some IV fluids. This is nothing to mess around with. If you caught it in the first hour or so inducing vomiting and vitamin K would be the ticket (ask me how I know)
roll.png
. I would think (and I am no vet) that once you start seeing symptoms like bleeding in the stool and vomiting blood things are very serious.

Best of luck.

For the vomiting, do you have any emitrol??? It's got some sugar in it that will also help with getting something in him. He'll probably throw it up a few times but 1 tbsp to start and 1 tbsp after every time he throws up.

If you have a syringe and you really think this is going to turn out bad I'd be willing to do what 1stepcloser mentioned. I'm not a vet but I've done things over and beyond what I should have (per the vet) to save my animals.... and I still have them with me. If it's a regular sized boxer 250 ml is a good place to start, once that is mostly absorbed, 250 ml more.

Sounds to me like he's not willing to eat or drink b/c he's in pain....with blood in stool and vomit there is something seriously wrong with him and just trying to get him to eat and drink is not going to help him. Have you spoken to the vet since the first visit?...I can't imagine any vet that would recommend keeping a dog in that condition at home...

I pray for you and your dog, Junkmanme. I hope things make a turn for the better.
hugs.gif
I know how desperate you feel, and how exhausted you must be. I have no advice, but I hope your vet can see him tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom