Dog is white chicken obsessed?

Granny23

Songster
Aug 2, 2021
Fontana, California
My almost 1 yr old goldendoodle Lacie is crazy obsessed with the one white chicken I have. She races around the coop enclosure to get to the closest spot where Mildred is just to stare at her!! The other hens pay her no mind. I mean this is her daily thing...run outside and stare at this ONE hen. All day long!!!!
The other 5 can be right in front of this dog but she watching the white one! Any similar experiences?
I thought it was because the 2 chicks peeped. Like a squeak toy. Stop that sound and she will stop the behavior. Mildred doesn't peep anymore...she honks. But Lacies behavior hasn't let up.
My other hens were adults when we got Lacie last year as a puppy. Not much can be done...she can't get to the hens...its just more frustrating than anything because she doesn't stop.

You would think she would get tired after awhile. I'd try a leash a everytime she looks towards her, break her attention with a tug and a no. Get her to sit and if she doesn't stare, give her a treat.
Or, dye the chicken black.. ;)
I laugh and yet, it's a thing!
https://www.wikihow.com/Color-Chickens#:~:text=Choose 2-3% vegetable-,3% concentration, is perfect.

Color-Chickens-Step-11.jpg

I'm no trainer, and one might disapprove my method, but Jack Russell's are very persistent, stubborn hunters.
Mine has always "loved" chicks while they are still small and cheepy, to the degree he would lose his wits and fling himself all over the place.
I just put myself between him and their brooder, hunch over a little to be intimidating, speak in a stern and deep voice, letting him know these are "mine".
If he tried to cut around me I stomped by foot and did my best impression of an angry giant.
I made him understand that if anyone was going to gobble those chicks it was going to be me (not!).
But in dog parlance he understood. Now he is well behaved around the (secure) chick brooders. I still put him away before cleaning or moving chicks.
If my mom was with him she squirted him with water, which didn't always work but did slow him down. I feel like my version - the crazy one - conveyed a long-term message.
And he had complete freedom to get away from the "pressure". Anywhere away from my chick territory was fine.
On his own, he was always respectful of adult chickens because of the stabby end. Having a brave couple of adults teach a puppy they're not toys is probably the best medicine, but it's a bit late for your case.

That's actually not a bad idea. Sometimes behaviors can become habitual and obsessive with certain types of dogs. The peeping caught her attention and now she's have trouble letting it go. Making the white chicken indistinguishable from the others could solve the problem instantly.

But she may also be keying in on certain behaviors of that particular chicken. I have a not so bright blue hen that always acts a fool whenever the dogs get anywhere near her, even though they have never even touched her and none of the rest of the chickens are reacting in any way. Her behavior actually draws the attention of the dogs making it a self fulfilling prophecy, silly chicken.

That's actually not a bad idea. Sometimes behaviors can become habitual and obsessive with certain types of dogs. The peeping caught her attention and now she's have trouble letting it go. Making the white chicken indistinguishable from the others could solve the problem instantly.

But she may also be keying in on certain behaviors of that particular chicken. I have a not so bright blue hen that always acts a fool whenever the dogs get anywhere near her, even though they have never even touched her and none of the rest of the chickens are reacting in any way. Her behavior actually draws the attention of the dogs making it a self fulfilling prophecy, silly chicken.
Dogs can definitely pick up on different behavior. My one dog doesn't give the gals a second look. However, I had to get rid of the guineas because there nervous behavior triggered her into chasing them obsessively. She would run past the chickens to get at the guineas.

This is completely familiar to me. I thought it was more about the particular chickens behavior though, not color. At least it's how it is at my place. My Golden and my Leonberger will fixate on just one chicken and I notice that is the chicken who is more aggressive, less afraid of them. I have chickens who are sweet and don't act very afraid around them but they leave those alone. It's been RIR's and a pretty self confident Olive egger that gave my dog a hard peck during a meet and greet. I just constantly train my dogs to "be nice" to all of the chickens but it's definitely constant with the one they are not happy with and when they see her at the fence they charge the fence.

You would think she would get tired after awhile. I'd try a leash a everytime she looks towards her, break her attention with a tug and a no. Get her to sit and if she doesn't stare, give her a treat.
Oh my gosh!! 😂 😂. If I would have known she'd go nutty over a white chicken Id have stayed with RIR's. Tooter is the youngest at almost 4 mos and a RIR and still peeps some. I was convinced Lacie would ignore them when the peeping stopped but nooo. Mildred actually honks! Have you heard hens do that?
She doesn't seem too bothered by her as Lacie has been doing this behavior since the 2 chicks were put outside.
Not sure how to accomplish your idea because the dogs have a dog door....but I guess I can close it and take her out periodically.
I also have a training collar. I could certainly use it. She does not like the beeping noise setting.
Thanks for your idea!!

Back
Top Bottom