Dog Kennel Coop/Run

We have a chain link dog run we use as one of our chicken runs. We put 1/2 inch hardware cloth over the chain link with like 1,000 zip ties to keep critters out (after finding opossums in the coop and raccoons grabbing the chickens through the chain link gaps). We also bought corrugated metal and put it on as a roof. It's not the most elegant looking set up, but it works great for us.

I’m not 100% sure. My husband said it’s not level. We don’t officially live there yet and I’m just making plans for the move.

So do you want to use the kennel as a daytime run? Or also have them sleep in it at night without a regular hen house? Maybe I am confused.

Raccoons are very strong they will rip apart deer netting. Hardware cloth is kind of expensive you can also double or triple wrap the kennel with chicken wire if you have some laying around. The ideas is so the the raccoon, possum, skunk can not reach in and grab a chunk of chicken. We have weasels around here and they will get in and kill a whole flock. I would totally utilize the kennel for the chickens. That is a great asset.

I was asking about the netting because I have completely covered my chicken run in bird netting and stapled it to the wooden frame. On top of that I stapled plastic fencing (I repurposed it). I was feeling secure about leaving the birds in their run, now I am not so sure.

Last edited:
Why do you say the deer netting won’t keep mammals out?
Because a Raccoon has climbed the chain link fence and forced its way through the netting.
20190529_092900.jpg

The netting is thin plastic.
The coon climbed the corner of coop located inside the kennel and left footprints up the side and roof of coop.
20191002_091214_resized.jpg

The Raccoon did not get inside my secure coop.
It kept coming back several times weekly. I set a trap and caught it. GC

I’m not 100% sure. My husband said it’s not level. We don’t officially live there yet and I’m just making plans for the move.
Hopefully that means they sloped it to drain,
and it's good and flat so won't hold any puddles.

Why do you say the deer netting won’t keep mammals out?
Depends on the netting, and how hungry the mammal is.
I wouldn't count on it tho.

My sister has a 10x10 dog kennel as a run for her four hens.
She hasn’t had issues with predators, but she does lock them in a secure coop at night.
At the very least I would cover the bottom few feet with hardware cloth to prevent raccoons from reaching through and grabbing a chicken.

I'm considering the "dog kennel" solution, but please excuse the dumb question by a newbie...

Won't the raccoons and/or foxes just climb over the hardware cloth portion and slip through the chain link? Was thinking I'd have to hardware cloth over the the whole chainlink outside.

I'm considering the "dog kennel" solution, but please excuse the dumb question by a newbie...

Won't the raccoons and/or foxes just climb over the hardware cloth portion and slip through the chain link? Was thinking I'd have to hardware cloth over the the whole chainlink outside.

Hers has a roof, and a raccoon or fox wouldn't be able to fit through the chain link. The hardware cloth around the bottom would be to prevent a raccoon from reaching in and grabbing a chicken. Other predators like weasels would still be able to get into the run.
Since she has them in a secure coop during the night she has decided that's a level of risk that she's willing to take.

For my own girls, I have a secure coop and run. All opening covered with hardware cloth.

That looks like a very nice and large kennel. I use dog kennels for all of my flocks. I have 10 x 10, 8 x 8, and 4 x 8 kennels all with the framed roofs with tarps. They are not secure from predators but I have livestock guardian dogs patrolling. My suggestion is to lock them up at night if you don't have dogs patrolling.

Back
Top Bottom