Dog Kennel Coop

Unswydd

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Central Illinois
Has anyone made a dog Kennel the actual coop? I sold my tiny TSC coop because it was so small and I was on my hands and knees so much and at my age that's not going to work. So, a friend brought me a chain link dog kennel. I covered it in wire so it's pretty much bomb proof now. But it's big. 6x6 !
I'm thinking I'll put some sides on it and a hard roof and that should work. I'm going to do wood chips and the deep litter method. Should help keep them warm in the winter here in Illinois.
The front where the gate is, is bent so I'll have to frame in the front and build a door. Are my girls (4) going to be ok without a small enclosure?

I have 2 10x10 kennels but they are the run. My actual coop has the roost bars and nest boxes on one end.

A 6x6 run for 4 birds is a tad on the small side if my math is right. You still have to give them a place to roost and depending on their age some laying boxes. That all can be built in the air as not too take up floor space. You are also not gonna wanna leave the bottom just chainlink as coons can still reach in and dig under. Easiest solution is hardware cloth apron on the bottom the extends down and out about 2 feet on the ground.

Gotcha. It's not actually the run its going to be the coop. They have a 30'x6' run which is half my garden. I'm splitting it with them. The bottom is ground with hardware cloth buried plus flat extended 18". I'll take a picture. I'll put a roost in of course, my main concern was that do they need a smaller enclosure to feel safe.
I still will put boards on the back and sides with vents. But I don't want to enclose the front with boards. Will they be alright?

Attachments

• 20200604_170334.jpg
    20200604_170334.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 62
Should work fine, just add a solid roof, sides where needed (leaving the front open as primary ventilation might work for you if you can winterize it during cold weather, and as long as that side doesn't face into prevailing winds), and cover any remaining gaps larger than 1/2" with hardware cloth.

Should work fine, just add a solid roof, sides where needed (leaving the front open as primary ventilation might work for you if you can winterize it during cold weather, and as long as that side doesn't face into prevailing winds), and cover any remaining gaps larger than 1/2" with hardware cloth.
Will do. It's facing east so as for Winter winds it should be ok. I have a roof which will go on today. Full sides will go on also. It's a struggle but these girls are 6 weeks old and need to go out asap! 🤪😁

Finished the coop. Panels will go up before winter but it's done for the summer. Before I go to bed I slide panels against the sides so they may feel safer at night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_152232_01.jpg
    IMG_20200606_152232_01.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200606_151736_01.jpg
    IMG_20200606_151736_01.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 49
Indeed! Seems to be working just fine too! 😁 first door I ever made and hung. Heavy!!!!
I had the most trouble last flock I had with dogs. The next most trouble was little birds getting in and eating the chicken feed. There are lots of ways to prevent that, but I had the big metal hanging feeder just like yours and an open top run -- little birds cost me a lot of food! The smaller chicken wire with only 1" opening would help with that. I see you have used the larger 2" wire, which will keep out big birds, but not small ones. Feeding them at a set time so that they clean up the feed right away can help with the problem of attracting varmits that want to eat their food.;)

Back
Top Bottom