Dog killed 10 chickens

SCMommaHen

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
A neighbor's husky broke out and in under an hour killed 7 of his chickens and walked a mile to my house, broke through a weak spot in the fence where the staples had rusted and killed an Orloff, my only speckled sussex and my only Houdan, Cruella, my favorite. I am so sad. I absolutely loved that chicken.

Popup_playback_1631617842758.jpg

RIP Cru 😭
IMG_20210717_200803.jpg

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Have you considered hot wire fencing as protection around your coop/pen?
Thanks. That's the thing. The coop is surrounded by electric netting that I turn on at night. I was so worried that something would get them at night. The cameras pick up raccoons and opossums nearly every night. During the day they range in the fenced backyard. It would be very difficult to hot wire that fence cause it ties into the neighbors fence. I am rethinking that. I did tell the dog's owner he needed to hotwire HIS fence!

Oh man, losing a chicken is hard but losing more than one must be heartbreaking. I'd check the laws in your area but where I live it's legal to shoot dogs if they attack your livestock. I'm not sure if you're willing to go that extreme but maybe consider a guard dog or keep the electric netting on all day.
Thanks. But it happened so quick the dog was already gone. I'm lucky I didn't lose more. Besides, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and would likely shoot a chicken trying.

Thanks. That's the thing. The coop is surrounded by electric netting that I turn on at night. I was so worried that something would get them at night. The cameras pick up raccoons and opossums nearly every night. During the day they range in the fenced backyard. It would be very difficult to hot wire that fence cause it ties into the neighbors fence. I am rethinking that. I did tell the dog's owner he needed to hotwire HIS fence!
You are correct. Neighbors responsibility to keep their dog on their property, not yours.

In many places, though perhaps no longer most places here in the US, a dog off leash and off property is considered "at large", and can be taken* if its attacking livestock.

*taken may mean be captured/caged by the local sheriff or animal control, but more often means killed by the livestock owner.

A neighbor's husky broke out and in under an hour killed 7 of his chickens and walked a mile to my house, broke through a weak spot in the fence where the staples had rusted and killed an Orloff, my only speckled sussex and my only Houdan, Cruella, my favorite. I am so sad. I absolutely loved that chicken.

View attachment 2833046
RIP Cru 😭
View attachment 2833047
I'm sorry for your loss! I re-homed one just like it years ago because it had a high prey drive.I know nothing can take the place of those you loved but hope they do the right thing .The least they can do is reimburse you for damages and expenses.I hope you don't give up keeping chickens on account of it.Dogs kill more chickens than other predators.

I'm so very sorry for your losses! Motivated dogs can kill so many in such a short time, it's awful.
Your neighbor is liable for the cost of your birds, and go big! This should have already been offered by the dog owner, and I'd report the incident to Animal Control or whoever should be involved in your county, and if the neighbor isn't doing the right thing already, have this handled by AC or whoever.
It doesn't make up for the loss of those particular birds, but still should be paid.
And have that electric fence on all the time! It's more likely to cause injuries if it's sometime safe and sometimes not.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom