dog killed and injured chickens

A neighbors pack of dogs killed 6 of mine last week, I started the 4 wheeler, grabbed a .40 and headed his way, only to find 4 of his dogs still on my property and having chicken lunch, rolled up and popped 2 there, rolled a third as he headed home.... Just waiting patiently to finish the rest off now.

Hi,
I have had many chickens in the past but about five years ago a fox got the whole herd and I didn't bother to replace them again. I have always had free ranging chickens and now I think that I might get some again. The only problem is that we now have a dog living next door. And, although we own the drive way, they have access to their garden. Every day the two dogs come zooming down the drive chasing our cats and knocking over our guinea pig hutches. The owners have no control over the dogs what so ever. The dogs are aggressive and bark at you when you walk by. I really want free ranging chickens again but I am scared that the dogs will just kill them. The owners could just keep the dogs on the leads but I thin k that they just won't bother. The dogs don't come back when they call and the owners just slap they dogs when they bark (which doesn't stop them - just makes them more upset). What shall I do - just give up on having chickens again or tell my neighbors to keep their dogs under control. Also, my chickens might go into their garden - I cannot stop them from this so it is unfair on my nights?

You should probably start your own thread on this since this one is about 5 months old. I'm sure your area has some sort of law about dogs being controlled, certainly about them threatening human beings! You need to report that they were being menacing to you and your kids to the authorities. That is unacceptable and I'd try to get that situation handled before you got chickens again.

Back
Top Bottom