Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sympathy and kudos to you for doing what you had to do, and curse irresponsible dog owners who put a flock owner in this position!

While I hope your idiot neighbor takes personal responsibility for the heartache, trauma, and loss you have endured and compensates you to your satisfaction, you should not be deterred if it doesn't happen. Taking the case to small claims court may be the only way to drive the message home and achieve closure.

Please replace your birds and protect them as best you can. Maybe ask the judge for fencing costs!
wink.png

I'm very sorry about your chickens. I love my chickens, too, and would be so upset if I were to lose any of them to any predator. But at the risk of being out of step here, I have to say: sometimes, with the very best of care and all possible precautions, dogs get out. It happens. And whether the dog was hungry or not, many - if not most - dogs that haven't been trained NOT to kill chickens, will kill chickens. You can't apply human moral/ethical standards to dogs - it's not "for sport" in the human sense - it's what dogs are designed, bred, meant to do, LOVE to do. It isn't the dog's fault. My wonderful dogs would have killed all of my chickens if I hadn't trained them not to - and why would I, if I didn't have chickens? I have neighbors, their dogs have gotten out from time to time, but the difference is: THEY CAN'T GET TO MY CHICKENS. I have good fence, backed up by electric fence, etc etc. It's MY responsibility to prevent this kind of loss, from dogs, coyotes, foxes, hawks, etc. You can kill a dog - a dog that someone probably loves as much as you ever loved any chicken because they made a mistake, and the dog was just being a dog, but there will be more dogs or coyotes, or whatever. The chickens are your responsibility, so its your move now. If your neighbors pay you some compensation, which they certainly should, maybe you could build in some protection to your set up.

Quote:
I get your point, however disagree. It is NOT my responsibility to keep my neighbors dog off my property .. period. I keep my OWN dog out of my chicken pen and out of my neighbor's yard .. but anyone elses animal that is on my property stalking my livestock IS A PREDATOR .. period.

It's an unfortunate situation, however I would have shot the dog also.

*hugs* to the OP for making a tough decision. I bet if neighbors get a new dog, you'll never see it in your yard...

Sorry about your birds..
Its a sad situation for all concerned.. the birds/ the dog/ you and the dog owner.

Yup I would have killed the dog too. I have 2 dogs and 10 chickens, love them all. I do hate people who let there dogs run loose in others yards though

There are laws against dogs running loose and harassing livestock in almost every county in this country. It is their responsiblity to keep their dog on their property, period, no ifs, ands or buts. The "one-time-dog-got-out-never-done-it-before" is way in the minority of situations.

I have a perimeter fence around 2 of my 5 acres and a gated drive and within that perimeter, each flock has pens, though they do free range inside the perimeter fence every week when we are home. Every blasted time that we're expecting a delivery and must open the drive gate for a couple hours, someone's dang dog comes bopping down the driveway. I have two neighbors who both put up chain link fences and neither keeps their respective dogs in those expensive fences. It's crazy!

I have done my due diligence to keep my flock safe. If one certain dog comes up here around my chickens one more time (this will be the 4th time, if I'm counting right), we know what we will do. I'm tired of "if he gets a chicken, we'll pay for it" and worse, the last comment, "we've raised him since he was a puppy" and "please don't kill my dog" and "if you kill my dog, I'll come up with a shotgun and kill every one of your chickens". SO? I also raised my birds from day olds, most hatched here. Some are years older than the dog in question. So, why do people think their dog is more important than my pets when mine are where they're supposed to be? Boggles the mind.

Thats a shame. I am sorry for you losing your chickens. But, I also feel for the dog. I wish people would take responsibility when they get animals. Keep the dog on your property and your dog would still be alive. Its the dogs owners fault for not keeping him on their land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom