Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
hit.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss
hit.gif

hugs.gif

Last edited:
I agree that when a dog or cat is on my property they are predators. Their instincts will alwasys kick in and they are just like wild animals. I had a neighbors dog come up and kill one of my best show quality hens who I was going to show. I do let my chickens free range because it is my property. The neighbor came to me when I left him a note in his mailbox and said "it was just a chicken" all I asked of him was for 20 dollars. That is half of what I paid for her, but since I realized that things do happen I didint ask for everything I had in the hen. I didnt shoot the dog because it never showed back up. But if it had and made a move towards my chickens it would have been shot. I do not like shooting dogs, cats, racoons, fox, coyotes, possums, or any other wild life or pet. But if it is to protect my flock I will. There is nothing fun about it, it hurts me to shoot anything because I am a huge animal lover. The only thing I have had to shoot so far is a couple of possum, and I hope I never have to shoot another one or any other animal.
fl.gif
I do live out in the country so it is a bit different for me, but I dont have enough money to fence of my 11 acres. Even if I lived in town on one acre, why do I have to fence my entire property off because people cant be responsible enough to control their animals. They havea dog it is thier responsibility to keep it on their property, just like my dogs stay on my property but are not fenced. They know not to go across any fences or down the drive. Its not fair to me or my animals to have to keep them locked up. Some dogs dont just go after chickens, it can be other dogs(like mentioned in another post), children, and any other livestock on the property. Please dont think that we are enjoying that she shot a dog, it is a sad and a hard thing that she had to do. We are all just trying to make her feel better about her decision and that she did the right thing by her and her animals safety.

I am so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

I had something similar happen a few years ago. All 12 of my hens (I'd raised them for 7 years)were slaughtered by a pack of 3 dogs that belonged to my neighbor. I filed a complaint with the Sheriff's office, implored my neighbors to build a fence, but it was to no avail. One day, one of the dogs was in my yard, trying to attack my cats. My husband had an elephant gun that he'd cleaned and recently loaded. I didn't know what it was really, but my anger overcame me and I went outside and shot at the dog --missed it and dislocated my shoulder, and broke my collarbone in two places, not to mention blackened my eye!
barnie.gif

I did go over to the neighbor's house and let them know that their dogs were not welcome on my property and because her husband was a construction contractor, I wondered how interested the local businesses as well as the Chamber of Commerce would be that he could build all these extravagant houses, but couldn't manage to put up a fence to keep his menacing animals from trespassing and destroying the pets of his neibors. That lit a fire under them, so they did the invisible fence thing. For quite some time, I felt a sense of pleasure when I'd hear one of the dogs yelping as it tried to cross the perimeter of their yard.
somad.gif

I'm glad you took care of the predator that murdered your chickens. It was the right thing to do. Good for you.

Again, I'm so sorry you had to go through this.
hugs.gif

So sorry you had to go through that...and I am so sorry for your losses.Unfortunately the neighbor had to learn the hard way to keep their dogs at home.
sad.png
Sad for everyone involved.

sorry for your loss... and I'm proud of you for taking care of the problem. If it wasn't that day it woulda been another, or someone elses livestock with the dog running loose.

Quote:
Should the dog's owner say that to you, look them square in the eyes and tell them "It was just a dog".

hugs.gif

Ugh...you beat me to the post!!!!!

I love all animals.....but I take care of mine and they don't go out killing other pets! The dog owner should have been more responsible!!!
somad.gif
NOW we have a bunch of birds and a dog dead because of stupid irresponsible dog owners!!!!

THANK YOU! There are no bad dogs... just bad dog owners. I am so sorry for your loss. My neighbor leaves his dogs off leash as well. I do not let them out of their run to "free range" unless I am out there to oversee. I'm glad you called animal control, and didn't try to handle the neighbors yourself.

HOLY Crap!! Sooo sorry that happened to you...
somad.gif
I had to deal with a simular situation early this Spring, 3 very large "mixed breed" mutts (all with collars) came onto the farm and started slaughtering our Breeders just days before they were to go into the breeding pens. I grabbed a shotgun (3" mag Beretta AL390 with triple 000 Buckshot) and first I tried to run the dogs off... but they confronted me (started growling at me in my own yard), and ran back and continued the attack. Well, that ended with 3 quick shots (2 dead and the 3rd was never seen again) Having to kill someone's dog/dogs litterally made me sick for days after the incident. But we never called the police or filled a report, we just SSS.
somad.gif
So, as u can see, you're not alone here!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Of course everyone gets excited about it, because it has or can happen to every person here. Are they happy about shooting the dog? No! I have only been on this board for a few days and I can tell that every person here cares about what happens to everyones flock. Proof is in the postings... if " Can You Look at this Poop Please? Update! by Peaches Lee " gets 275 views and 12 replies, it is only human nature that there would be even more for this one. And if you read back through the posts, most are not cheering her on, they are offering moral support for a person who found herself in a very bad place. I cheered her on, cause she stepped up and did what she had to do, and too many women who find themselves in that or a similar situation would not have been able to deal with it. Maybe, because she had the guts to tell everyone about it, another woman will feel that they too can take control of a problem and not just cry about it later.

Quote:
This the situation where the principle of SSS comes into play.
Shoot. (within your rights)
Shovel. (part of your self-preservation due to neighbors stated actions against yourself and property)
Shut up. (also self preservation, "I don't know, haven't seen your dog")

I am disabled and on very limited funds, and an animal that comes onto my property and destroys MY food sources is gonna get nailed if I can nail it. No joy, no explanations, Its a goner if it takes my food away from me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom