Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I agree, try this suggestion and ask them or demand if they get another dog it has to be trained to obey and stay in the yard. so many people get dogs and they don't even train them. They can be mans best friend if they were trained properly.

Quote:
Try take her to dog obiedence classes, they are never to old to learn. Tell them what she does and maybe they could suggest something. It's better than paying out alot of damage and heart ache if the dog does something.

OP, I'm real sorry you had to shoot them. I know it's not an easy thing to do.

I grew out in the country half the time at my grandparents' houses. I remember their lab that had to be put down after it mauled a 4H lamb to death. The numerous, numerous cats that people would dump that attacked the birds. The two samoyed my aunt had that decided chasing emus on the neighbors land was fun and were shot. The dogs attacking my grandfathers pigs.

It was always instilled into me that once a dog attacks another animal it is no good and will go after again.

I was worried about my two dogs I have now when I got the chickens this spring. They are still puppies, though, and accepted them well. My chickens follow the dogs and if they see a hawk or eagle have been known to hide under the GSD. Of course she tried to hide behind them from the mower a couple days ago. Chickens aren't afraid of it.

We've only lived here a year and have already seen our share of dumped cats. There was a dog we didn't recognize trying to get in our gate a couple weeks back that hubby chased off. The neighors have all trained their dogs or secured them, since everyone around here has horses or goats. But people come out from the city and stop on our sleepy side road to dump animals.

Quote:
It's my case too.
We rescued a Golden Retriever, 1 yr and 2 months old. Got chicks. He was taught they were "his". If 1 got out, he would gently bring it to me, all slobbery but fine. He never chased them when they grew up...at least that's what I thought!!

We were losing birds. Then I spied him - when he thought we had gone into the house and left him to "protect" the birds for about 5 minutes. He grabbed one and was happily plucking her belly and legs underneath a bush.

He's not allowed near them anymore. We're a rescue farm for unwanted and abused animals. It would be hypocritical of us to put him down or re-home him. We got an electric net fence. He touched it once and ran off into the acreage and we didn't see him for 3 hours. He won't go near it and the birds are safe.

And, having shared that. O.P.: I got 2 things to say to you:

#1 You Rock!
and #2 Would have done the same thing myself!!
even though we are what we are - my animals may have come from troubled or abusive homes and are dealing with thier own troubles - but they are not some one else's trouble.
Denise
Paradise Found

Quote:
You gotta protect your animals but you don't need to take joy in killing someone elses.

You folks couldn't be more off base here. The last thing I want to do is shoot a dog. I love dogs, have had one most of my life--fenced, always, never allowed to roam, period. If I have to shoot someone's dog, that is severe emotional distress on top of possibly having my pets torn apart. I do not want to kill a dog, any dog, but I will.

If it's a pet, keep it safe on your own property. What's so darn hard about that? If you can't do it, if the dog is smarter than its owner, then the owner just shouldn't have a dog.

When a dog is on its own property, it's a pet. When someone else's dog is on my property, it's a predator. Simple as pie.

I agree, people are not cheering about killing a dog. It's really sad it came to that. Everyone needs to be responsible to train and protect there livestock and animals. A dog should be trained to stay not just let them roam.

Quote:
Try take her to dog obiedence classes, they are never to old to learn. Tell them what she does and maybe they could suggest something. It's better than paying out alot of damage and heart ache if the dog does something.

Agreed. Proper use of a shock collar as a training device could go long way towards keeping her contained, and keeping her away from chickens or other small animals that she would normally view as prey or chew toys.

I'm so sorry for that poor girls loss,I understand how she feels it's happened to me twice.The first time was with my very first flock ten years ago,the dog was still in the pen and I was so mad I ran to the house to grab the most devasting gun we have,the dog ran home before I got back.The owners shot it when we told them.It happened again last month,I know who it is but I can't prove it.I just think if I can keep my horses and chickens in my yard why can't they?I haven't owned a dog in years because my last dog jumped my fence and chased livestock,got rid of him.Will not tolerate that

Quote:
Girl, you are more patient than I am. I would have been shooting long ago. Take care of any predator that comes on to your property and maybe the owners will stop letting animals roam and kill.

The most recent dog attack that happened my DH went and talked to the dogs owner he said it wasn't his dog so DH said well then you have nothing to worry about but if it is your dog and he comes over here he ain't coming home.
old.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom