Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You gotta protect your animals but you don't need to take joy in killing someone elses.

You folks couldn't be more off base here. The last thing I want to do is shoot a dog. I love dogs, have had one most of my life--fenced, always, never allowed to roam, period. If I have to shoot someone's dog, that is severe emotional distress on top of possibly having my pets torn apart. I do not want to kill a dog, any dog, but I will.

If it's a pet, keep it safe on your own property. What's so darn hard about that? If you can't do it, if the dog is smarter than its owner, then the owner just shouldn't have a dog.

When a dog is on its own property, it's a pet. When someone else's dog is on my property, it's a predator. Simple as pie.

just asking, can I use this as my sig?

I don't have a problem with you using it as your sig line. I wasn't the originator of the line, though. A long time member of BYC way back when once said something like that, even before this BYC was revived by Nifty, and it stuck with me; could have been Spotted Crow, if any of you remember her. It sums up the dog issue beautifully, IMO.

I had a similar situation a few years back. Neighbor's dog got in the yard and killed about 15 of my chickens. I didn't shoot the dog, but DID tell the neighbor what had happened and that he owed me for it and I never wanted to see the dog in my yard again or it wouldn't be coming home. He never gave me any money, but that dog NEVER left its yard again. It was a very nice dog to people and my dogs, but just didn't have the training to know not to chase the chickens. I had to train my own dogs when I got the chickens or they'd have done the same thing. Shock collars are wonderful tools.
wink.png
Not saying that the OP was right or wrong, just sharing my experience. I know my dogs occasionally get out and while they would never chase someone's livestock now, they would have before I got my chickens and taught them not to. I would have felt horrible if my dog killed someone's livestock, but would have been completely heartbroken if they'd been shot for it, since it would be my fault and not the dog's. Just my opinion.
hide.gif

I decided to write out a polite letter and ask to be reimbursed for my birds. They were all pure breeds and I expect the going rate for each in my area which is about $15 each. He can pay me $15 each for my 20 birds or I will have no choice but to proceed with a law suit. I was within my legal right and I would do it again. I feel guilty for doing it but, look at my profile pic, they are not just chickens, they are pets, I bet his dog wont sit on his shoulder.

Last edited:
OP, I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I have been reading everyone's responses, only once did a stray get into our backyard and that was because my son decided he wanted a new dog and he thought he can train it not to kill the chickens but I have been watching this dog all morning trying to figure out how to get to my hens, when I saw it in the back yard and it bee-lined for one of my hens I bee-lined for the dog, she had my hen down by the neck, I picked the dog up it did have a collar on but no name and I tossed the dog over our 6' fence . My son couldn't understand why I did that and we had a long heart-to-heart talk about dogs and their nature. But once a dog gets a taste of killing it never ever stops killing, if she, the OP, didn't put the dog down the sheriff or deputy would have.

One word of advice, don't met your neighbors alone, have some one there with you, take photos of the flock, I have been on both sides and can see how ugly it can get
sad.png

We have the right to protect our property, family, pets and livestock, whether by gun, club, or any other means.

I was on the other side of the barrel so to speak, many yrs ago my dog got out, chased the local calves even killed one, chased the local pigs and killed piglets then it went after other dogs by the time we chased him down and cornered him, the sheriff shot him no ifs, and or buts, one bullet and he was gone and I was ready to pay my dues for my dogs destruction.

Again my heart goes out to you

Quote:
Guilt is the last thing you should feel in asking for this money. It couldn't even begin to mitigate for the grizzly murder of perfectly wonderful feeling beings.

JJ

Quote:
Spoken just like someone who spends their days helping and saving dogs lives...
wink.png

... and I love you for it...
hugs.gif

To the OP
hugs.gif
sorry for the loss of your chickens and for having to shot the dog. My grandpa had a shot gun that had shells full of rock salt when he saw a dog chasing or hunting any of the farm animals he would shoot the dog with the rock salt we never saw those dogs again. I do remember one dog that was chasing the chickens and us kids tried to stop it the dog started to growl at us grandpa shot the dog, a few hours later one of grandpa's neighbors and his friend showed up asked grandpa if he shot the dog grandpa said yep the neighbor's friend went off on my grandpa saying how he had ruined his great hunting dog. Grandpa just looked at the guy and said if it was such a great dog why was it running on my property chasing my animals and growling at my grand kids instead of secured with him. Guy left mad as heck, grandpa just smiled and walked off. Now days using rock salt would more then likely get you a fine for animal cruelty. I live in town and my dog has escaped but there is someone always chasing them. When I get my farm they will be fenced in also I don't want to have my dogs hurt anyone's livestock.

Quote:
You gotta protect your animals but you don't need to take joy in killing someone elses.

You folks couldn't be more off base here. The last thing I want to do is shoot a dog. I love dogs, have had one most of my life--fenced, always, never allowed to roam, period. If I have to shoot someone's dog, that is severe emotional distress on top of possibly having my pets torn apart. I do not want to kill a dog, any dog, but I will.

If it's a pet, keep it safe on your own property. What's so darn hard about that? If you can't do it, if the dog is smarter than its owner, then the owner just shouldn't have a dog.

When a dog is on its own property, it's a pet. When someone else's dog is on my property, it's a predator. Simple as pie.

Beautifully and I do mean Beautifully said....Thanks so much!!

Quote:
My beautiful Blue Heeler Bandit passed tonight. He was over 12 years old and the smartest dog I have ever known. I loved him, love him and will miss him every day.
The only reason I am posting this is that he is sort of memorialized here.
No need to reply and I'm sorry for intruding. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom