Is it right to give a dog away for killing 1 chicken and injuring 2

Pics
I worked with her in tons of ways paying someone was my last option
There is nothing wrong with paying someone who is skilled for their assistance. You pay a dentist, you pay a doctor, we pay teachers and all kinds of people for their knowledge and time. A professional dog trainer is worth their pay if they can help you. There is no shame in paying a professional for their help.

There is nothing wrong with paying someone who is skilled for their assistance. You pay a dentist, you pay a doctor, we pay teachers and all kinds of people for their knowledge and time. A professional dog trainer is worth their pay if they can help you. There is no shame in paying a professional for their help.
No there is no shame, without my trainer for my male Golden Retriever, he would still bark and lung at everything every person, every dog. I have no shame in saying that.

Sometimes even the most experienced dog owners need a professional trainer.
Ive known people who have owned dogs for 20 plus years and trained all the first ones on their own but the last one they needed help with.

No there is no shame, without my trainer for my male Golden Retriever, he would still bark and lung at everything every person, every dog. I have no shame in saying that.

Sometimes even the most experienced dog owners need a professional trainer.
Ive known people who have owned dogs for 20 plus years and trained all the first ones on their own but the last one they needed help with.
Lol, I'll testify! I can train the Basics, Heel, Sit, Down, Stay, Come, and some basic behaviors, but I have only recently started getting a handle on this Sheltie's barking! He came to us at 15 months and had not had proper socialization (not an excuse), is still somewat almost feral in some ways, has made MAJOR improvements from when we first got him .... but will always be a Work In Progress. Still ... he IS dependable with the chickens, and for that, I can forgive a LOT.

Lol, I'll testify! I can train the Basics, Heel, Sit, Down, Stay, Come, and some basic behaviors, but I have only recently started getting a handle on this Sheltie's barking! He came to us at 15 months and had not had proper socialization (not an excuse), is still somewat almost feral in some ways, has made MAJOR improvements from when we first got him .... but will always be a Work In Progress. Still ... he IS dependable with the chickens, and for that, I can forgive a LOT.
Basic training can be a breeze but to correct the problems it can get hard.

Im glad the sheltie is doing better

I feel like i over socialized some times , but then feel like i overdid it sometimes to

It's not really a matter of right or wrong. When we bring a pet home, we re agreeing to provide that pet with the best home and life we can provide. Sometimes the best home is with someone else.

If you keep this dog you are going to have to make changes to ensure your birds' safety. Most likely this is going to mean beefing up your coop/run security AND putting in some time training the dog. If you can't, or aren't willing to, do that then rehoming the dog is probably for the best. It's not fair to the dog to constantly be mad them, and it's certainly not fair to the chickens to be in constant danger
Well said Aina. Yes you don't want to be mad at the dog often, and the chickens deserve safety. Both species are important. Please heed Ainas advice.

Back
Top Bottom