Is it right to give a dog away for killing 1 chicken and injuring 2

Wait, you say that person should not own a dog, but then you tell them to keep the dog?

If they should not own a dog, then rehoming the dog is a way to change the current bad situation.
And the whole analogy went over your head, if you jump ship at the first time of adversity and pawn the dog off on someone else why even get the animal? This is the point one should exhaust all options and not be dumber than the dog itself, every animal can be trained we are not talking about a dog that decided to eat a human baby but a bird.

Homesteading, I have a very well trained German Shepard who will listen in an instant, I have been trying to do the same with Nova but it is hard to train a four year old bird dog I tried and tried but it didn’t work I live in the middle of nowhere I can’t get this training stuff easily without spending lots of money online my German shepherd was trained with the word no and swat when he did something really bad and he is great but she isn’t the same. Nova was taken to the pound yesterday we didn’t tell them what she did and I don’t think they put non pit bull dogs down

Any dog can be trained they are domesticated for a reason let's hope this is a learning experience for you
Intelligence, aggression and prey drive are all genetic in origin. I use a hammer to pound nails, and a screwdriver to screw screws. Similarly huskies are for pulling sleds and pyrenees are for guarding livestock. If someone confused the two breeds it would cause many problems

A responsible dog owner would choose a dog of a suitable breed for the given purpose, but many here get chickens years after having dogs. Life often isn't ideal, so we need to do the best with what we're given

This is yet another excuse, this is not a wild wolf you are pulling out of the woods to train. These dogs have been domesticated for years therefore the prey drive has been heavily driven from them. Any dog can be trained for any means, yes some are better at some things but the same rule applies.

I have two Golden retrievers who are very bird driven.
Denver my two year old was arounf chickens since a few months old she is super gentle near them. But other birds.
Tucker is my field dog he has come close to eating a few birds when not in the field.
I have taught him to leave my chickens alone. I have chicks and the house and he watches me do everything with them but wont harm them. He sometimes does run up to the chicken run and scare the chickens but its in no harmful way.
birds in the field he knows are his game.
It takes training and time
If you have the patience to train the dog to leave the chickens alone.
Then dont rehome.

A responsible dog owner would choose a dog of a suitable breed for the given purpose
I didn’t choose her my uncle couldn’t keep her anymore so he was going to take her to the pound but we took her and tried to train her but it didn’t work out I get how some dog lovers think I’m horrible maybe not you but definitely homesteading101, when it all comes down to it the hens are more important than the dog and the dog is luck I didn’t put her down the day she did it I love chickens a heck of a lot more than dogs and she hasn’t been part of my family for long you can keep criticising me and what not but all in all she’s gone there’s nothing any of your criticism can do to bring her back into my home.

Back
Top Bottom