Is it right to give a dog away for killing 1 chicken and injuring 2

If you don't have the intellectual capacity to be smarter than a dog that's pretty sad regardless of how much of a book you type it's fairly straightforward and simple
Disagree. As someone who has worked with both dogs and the dog owning public professionally, there is very little about training a dog that is intuitive, especially in a culture (USA) where it's just the thing to do. Get married, white picket fence, 2.5 kids, family dog that doesn't have a job. That's considered the cultural "norm" (even if it shouldn't be). In that kind of environment its not surprising that most dog owners have no idea how to train a dog.

Dog training is neither simple nor intuitive. Nor is it always possible to overcome a dog's natural instincts with training

Disagree. As someone who has worked with both dogs and the dog owning public professionally, there is very little about training a dog that is intuitive, especially in a culture (USA) where it's just the thing to do. Get married, white picket fence, 2.5 kids, family dog that doesn't have a job. That's considered the cultural "norm" (even if it shouldn't be). In that kind of environment its not surprising that most dog owners have no idea how to train a dog.

Dog training is neither simple nor intuitive. Nor is it always possible to overcome a dog's natural instincts with training
Thank you

If you don't trust your animal you didnt train them enough it's as simple as that
It's not about training. I have a coonhound. No amount of training could prevent him from killing a cat, rabbit, possum, or my chickens if he had access. its in his DNA. he's well trained and obedient, but you can't train some instincts out of a dog with a high prey drive. you CAN however, prevent it from happening with proper containment. My dog will never get near my birds.

I taught basic dog obedience for nearly 20 years at a community college in NW New Mexico, and also dealt with problem behavior including chicken predation. I successfully rehabilitated numerous confirmed chicken killers during that time without beating dogs with dead chickens, tying dead chickens around dogs' necks until the chicken rotted off, or any other disgusting or inhumane methods. It can be done. But I agree it is certainly not intuitive. However, as far as OP is concerned, it is certainly up to them whether rehoming the dog is the best option, and nobody should judge or criticize them if that is their choice. I would only urge them to make certain the new owners are aware of the dog's history so they know not to get chickens or to take precautions.

I might add that my Golden retriever (note: a bird dog) and my Sheltie free range along with my 25 chickens all day long, unsupervised, and the Golden, in case you think she lacks or has a low prey drive, brought me a rabbit this morning. I have always had dogs and chickens and have never lost a chicken to one of my dogs. It IS about training/ communicating.

I think a lot of it depends on the dog. When we bought our house it came with 6 chickens. We have a 8 year old lab that had never seen a chicken. She promptly killed two and was quite proud of herself. I scolded her and swatted her butt. No issues ever since. The dog and the chickens are now friends.

These types of people should not own animals but you can't stop stupid people from doing things as that's evident
Did you read the other comments as well? The person in question got the dog when the dog was already 2 years old. There’s no reason to be a complete asshole in the comments. There are enough ways to say those things in a nice manner and you’re no help with any of your comments either.

Back
Top Bottom