Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would advocate, STRONGLY that the members on this forum tell their neighbors or whoever they meet that has had run ins like this to BRING THE DOG TO TRAINING COURSES. versus the immediate reaction of "Shoot It". Give pet owners a chance, BEFORE you shoot a dog.

Take these people to small claims court after the incident, get the money you lost back, time, energy, Give your chickens a better chance by protecting them inside of a run when you cannot watch them 100% , JUST the same as you require dog owners have their dogs on a leash or in a fenced in area ALL the time they cannot be watched..... give dog owners PETS/FAMILY ( Dogs are pets too and they CAN be trained EASILY!!! with the right guidance) a chance too, they are not doing it to be MALICIOUS or for "Fun" Im sorry but to see those comments posted, like a dog has the high functioning brain power of a HUMAN is ridiculous at best. They are doing it because they are DOGS. They are bred for certain traits ( in many cases, purebreds) or are a melting pot of breeds where those drives and honed instincts MIX and make a dog that may or may not require better training, things like running ( huskies ) and CHASING. Its called Prey drive and it CAN be controlled with proper training.

My dog is a Border Collie, Husky, Pointer mix, all three have STRONG prey drives, and he is 100% SAFE around cats and chickens and chicks. Because i had PRIOR knowledge of the breeds and knew adding my birds to the mix MAY cause problems where my cats did not.

He would SHAKE because he had NO idea what to do, the excitement levels were so high, he was nervy and unpredictable. he was SO excited that these small peeping creatures that smelled so different were now in the house, he was so " Concerned" about them, had to be looking in the brooder, if he HEARD one he would come running and all i had to do was tell him Sit. And he could look. Teaching restraint early on made it so that i could teach him other things, progress. Like "leave it" and "Stay", and so he could get used to their erratic behavior.

Dog owners should contain their dogs, no question if they do not have control of their animals, but sometimes things happen. Giving people a CHANCE to correct the behavior before extreme measures are taken. If it happens a second time when plenty of time has passed for the dog to have gained some valuable lessons in behavior, have at it.

Give pet owners a chance, BEFORE you shoot a dog.

Not if the dog is in the act of killing my chickens, sorry. That doesn't get a second chance. If anyone has read the few instances I've personally written about here, I have killed no dogs...YET. That's only because we have taken as many precautions as we can and are vigilant, no free ranging when we are not home, etc.

I perimeter fenced a section of my property and gated it. Still, sometimes, we have to deal with dogs because we must open the gate for a delivery, and you know very well that no one is exact on when they'll be at your house for those, so gate is open for a few hours at a time. Dogs come down the drive. It's like they are just waiting for that gate to open.

One particular nuisance dog's owners, after being warned about his presence on our property twice (thanks to my roosters), put in an invisible fence. Well, that didn't work. He was up here again. He breezed through it and ran up and down the roads. They also neglected to keep charged batteries in it. Next time, after a very unpleasant exchange with the owners son and threats made toward us if we used lethal force on the dog, the owner fenced with chainlink a huge area of his back yard, very nice area, plenty of room for any dog. Does that dog stay in it? Of course not! They have one of those gator vehicles and we often see it cruising the private roads with the dog running alongside. The dog is very often on the front lawn, chasing vehicles that drive down to their house. That owner has been given multiple chances and will be given no more. They are not going to take him to obedience classes, trust me. I'm done.​

Quote:
Not if the dog is in the act of killing my chickens, sorry. That doesn't get a second chance. If anyone has read the few instances I've personally written about here, I have killed no dogs...YET. That's only because we have taken as many precautions as we can and are vigilant, no free ranging when we are not home, etc.

I perimeter fenced a section of my property and gated it. Still, sometimes, we have to deal with dogs because we must open the gate for a delivery, and you know very well that no one is exact on when they'll be at your house for those, so gate is open for a few hours at a time. Dogs come down the drive. It's like they are just waiting for that gate to open.

One particular nuisance dog's owners, after being warned about his presence on our property twice (thanks to my roosters), put in an invisible fence. Well, that didn't work. He was up here again. He breezed through it and ran up and down the roads. They also neglected to keep charged batteries in it. Next time, after a very unpleasant exchange with the owners son and threats made toward us if we used lethal force on the dog, the owner fenced with chainlink a huge area of his back yard, very nice area, plenty of room for any dog. Does that dog stay in it? Of course not! They have one of those gator vehicles and we often see it cruising the private roads with the dog running alongside. The dog is very often on the front lawn, chasing vehicles that drive down to their house. That owner has been given multiple chances and will be given no more. They are not going to take him to obedience classes, trust me. I'm done.

Read my entire post. You cannot take parts of it out of context.

Quote:
This indicates that you believe the dog should get a pass - to heck with the chickens - the first time it kills ..

Sorry, he's a predator the FIRST time ...

My chickens, my property, my livestock, my choice....

The one thing I agree with you on is talking to the neighbors .. and all my neighbors KNOW their dogs won't get a second chance to kill my chickens if I catch them the first time ..

Even if you think it's good to kill a dog that is killing your chickens, you might want to stop and consider: is there some innocent child out there who adores this dog more than anything in the world and will be hurt by this killing?

I totally agree: people should be responsible dog owners and not let them get out, prey on other people's animals, etc.

But I can't take pleasure in the killing of... well, anything, really, but especially not an animal that might be loved by someone.

Quote:
Who takes PLEASURE in it?? I'm sure we would much prefer never having to make that decision ..

My children LOVE my chickens too .. they all have names, personalities, value.

Peace. Out.

Quote:

One particular nuisance dog's owners, after being warned about his presence on our property twice (thanks to my roosters), put in an invisible fence. Well, that didn't work. He was up here again. He breezed through it and ran up and down the roads. They also neglected to keep charged batteries in it. Next time, after a very unpleasant exchange with the owners son and threats made toward us if we used lethal force on the dog, the owner fenced with chainlink a huge area of his back yard, very nice area, plenty of room for any dog. Does that dog stay in it? Of course not! They have one of those gator vehicles and we often see it cruising the private roads with the dog running alongside. The dog is very often on the front lawn, chasing vehicles that drive down to their house. That owner has been given multiple chances and will be given no more. They are not going to take him to obedience classes, trust me. I'm done.

Read my entire post. You cannot take parts of it out of context.

I did read your entire post. Perhaps you didn't read mine enough to know that I was responding to one of your points. I think we know the neighbors well enough to know that suggesting obedience classes isn't going to go over well. Most country folk who believe that being in a rural area entitles them to allow their dogs to run loose also are not going to be open to obedience classes, if they could even find such a thing in their area.

Even if you think it's good to kill a dog that is killing your chickens, you might want to stop and consider: is there some innocent child out there who adores this dog more than anything in the world and will be hurt by this killing?

Perhaps that child's parent ought to take that into consideration and keep that dog at home so it doesn't become road pizza or is shot by some farmer. Again, it is not my responsibility to take into consideration every single aspect of why the dog is on my property, who owns it, who may be upset by its demise, etc. Perhaps the dog's owner may ought to consider what innocent pet of mine will be harmed by their roaming dog? I am as attached to some of my chickens as much as any person can be attached to any dog. My birds are innocent, too. Why is that so hard to understand and get across?
roll.png

But I can't take pleasure in the killing of... well, anything, really, but especially not an animal that might be loved by someone.

Have you not read a thing I've written here or that others have written about this very thing? I will never take pleasure in killing a dog. The OP of this thread never gloried in the killing of the dog who slaughtered her entire flock, either. My chickens are loved by me. I may need to say that again--my chickens are loved by me. Some of mine are almost 6 years old, had them since they were a few days old, some hatched here. Gypsy knows her name, loves to be in my lap, carried around like a purse. Becca gives hugs and chases the others away from my DH so she can have him all to herself. Big old Suede is a huge turkey sized rooster that I adore who lets me do anything I want to him. I could go on and on. I love my birds. Why do they not count?

Jennifer, I hope this never happens to you again. It's not fair for you to have been put in that position to have to do that and not fair for your beautiful innocent birds to have been terrorized and killed by someone's roaming animal.​

It just seemed to some of us like a lot of people were taking pleasure in the killing of the dog. I'm glad if we are incorrect. But it struck us that way.

I don't think it is your responsibility to consider a child who might be devastated by the killing of a chicken-keeping dog. And I agree with you that it IS the parents' responsibility to look after that dog and the child. So we are agreed there. Also agreed that we can love chickens as much or more than dogs.

I have been reading this post and I agree you did what you had to do and I would have done the same thing. we have had to deal with neighbors dogs too- and we live a mile in the middle of nowhere from anyone-one chased the livestock and went after our dogs-he was dealt with-one turned on one of my kids-he was dealt with-one got in the barn and took down our stud horse-then turned on our daughter--we made the owner deal with it and ask to be called when it was done so that we could see that it was done.. Now here is my dilemma---we have a beautiful springer spaniel (Morgan) he is 8 this year and is king of this 215 acre farm--i want him to get along with the chickens and when I brought them home he shook at the sight of them so bad I thought he would have a a heart attack-he was in a frenzie everytime--he has gotten over that-he still does point when he sees them and I even let them freerun when we are outside or I put him in--he is good with them while I am right there--letting them mill around him--do I dare trust him alone with them--absolutely not--he is after all a BIRD dog. I think he would be fine unless they started their little hopping and fluttering and got him all wound up--then it would be on...So, it is my job as owner of both to keep an eye on things and make everyone aware that visits--the girls are getting a new coop soon with an xtra large run fenced in --that is the only answer---I have hawks,owls, coons,foxes,bobcats and coyotes to deal with that I can't manage--I can manage the dog. It is a shame that the dog always reaps the hazards of such things--it should be the owners--they are doing what dogs do--how many of you have ever had a cat that slept with the dog all the time and then for fun every once in a while they take off and chase them up a tree. They are all animals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom