Dog killed my only roo...........

I assume that the dog doesn't belong to you. I hate it when people won't keep their dogs on their own property. I don't know how people can be so inconsiderate. If a person hates their pet so much that they let it roam, I wish they would just shoot it themselves. When I let my chickens free range, they stay on my property. If a person can't confine their dog or teach it to stay within its boundarys, they shouldn't have a dog.

I am sorry for your loss. I was in the same situation. I can not confirm my chick was injured by the neighbors dogs, but we did have to fill in a whole dug under our relativly secure run the other day. And I was there several subsequent times when they went straight for that hole.

My neighbors are easily in ear shot of my coop. I yelled cockadoodle-do and renacted Foghorn leghorn skits (all the voices) for an hour.

There were some squeeling tires comming out of thier house next few days. But the dogs never came back on my property.

I am not saying it would work for you, but it did for me, probably because the other neighbors were gossiping about how crazy I seemed, untill the rumor went back around again and although still crazy, it seemed like I had a plausible reason. No direct confrontation/negotiation, no trapping and pound, no formal citations with animal control, and no SSS. I am proud of myself, but I am more proud of my neighbors now.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Just make sure you are within the law and let some time pass to have a cool head. It will help your aim in which ever recourse you choose
smile.png

I went and spoke with the owner. He was very sorry and I believe him. He is going to see what he can do about keeping it tied up or he said he would get rid of it himself. I will let it go this time. Next time he is a gonner.

This is exactly why I'm getting a Great Py. I already have 3 dogs but we have stray dogs that come onto our property. We have no clue where they're coming from. We just know that our dogs will start to bark, we'll look out and there will be a stray or two on our property.

But I also won't hesitate to shoot a dog or any other predator that comes onto my property and threatens my flock or my family.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom