Dog neuter problems, help please!

Quote:
It happens to the best of them. We had a dog come back after an acl because it ripped out the stitches. One or two of the males that ripped out the sutures from a neuter we told the client the same thing and they healed fine. Keep him down (no running around and rough housing) and follow your gut on if he needs to go back.

He really may not need anything more than an e-collar and some glue honestly, depending on his size and age. In male dogs it is not as big a concern, and hernias are not a possible complication, because unlike a female spay there is no incision into the body wall. The vet makes a single skin incision, then pushes the testicles up through that incision and removes them. Unless it is a large, mature dog there are no more than 2-3 sutures and on some very small or young dogs the vets I work with won't even bother with skin sutures, just the subcuticular sutures and some tissue glue.

Keep an eye on that incision, and if it looks red or irritated then call your vet and get it checked out. If he introduced enough germs to it by licking it he may need a round of antibiotics. Many vets don't charge for post-op checks on surgical incisions, although if you don't feel like you trust this vet then it might be worth the peace of mind to have him examined by another vet even if it costs a little extra.

He's still good. Still glued and mow he has a tee shirt tied like a diaper because he really wants to lick. Big brat! thanks for all the ideas and help! I'll keep you posted:)

Quote:
That's good news. I'm sure he will heal well.

I forgot I also did the T-shirt diaper thing with my boy. because he destroyed his e-collar in about 20 seconds by running into a wall (it was an older one). He wore 2 T-shirts one over his head and one over his tail and they were tied together ~ actually worked well, but was a pain to take off at potty time.

He's still healing well. The only problem now is that he doesn't want to potty with me near him. Which has tranlated into two huge bruises on my hand and arm from him trying to rip the piece of clothesline out of my hand/arm to get away. He's only peeing and pooping once a day. This I getting old quick. The brat better thank his stars I love him so much.

He tore it open again late tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. Ugh. Glued it and went to bed after dosing him with Bach's Rescue Remedy. Took him to the vet that I normally use yesterday, hanging my head in shame for trying to save $25.
sad.png
That $25 of savings ended up costing me $242 at my vet. I really wish we could cuss on here!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom