Dog or fence for predators

If I were facing the same situation as the original poster, I think it would take me about an hour or so to build myself a 3 or 4 wire electric fence around an acre or so of enclosed poultry pasture and what I would build would be pretty certain to keep most 4 legged predators like coyotes, foxes and such out. But unless I was willing to go an extra step and find a way to kill all the vegetation beneath the wires, I would also have to commit to spending an hour or so a week maintaining it to keep the vegetation from growing up high enough to short my fence out. I'd have to mow up one side and down the other to keep the pathway clear, and maybe weed eat now and then or else move the fence off to one side to help with that.

If I were willing to take on that additional amount of work, I think I could keep them safe, provided they would also stay on the inside. With one of those hot wires being about 5 inches or so off the ground....and a full acre, they might. That fence would be there waiting for the varmints 24/7 and 365 days a year.

Yes I have to agree with you! Lesson learned...
Typically the lab is outside and off leash but he broke a claw early this morning and was inside having that tended to. The hounds nose gets her into too much trouble so she is leashed until every bit of the fence is completed. Both dogs try to protect yard/house/cats and birds from imaginary and real predators. I will tell you though that I caught footage a year ago on surveillance cameras of 2 coyotes leaping a 5' high fence section with no effort at all. I didn't get dogs to protect my flock-they are pets first and foremost and the new fence is as much for them as it is for the chickens. So I agree with AllynTal that getting a dog to solely protect chickens is not a great idea. But once my fence is complete and both dogs are able to be free in the backyard I am hoping and praying that the combination is enough to keep us all safe. As a side note my neighbour (who has chickens,turkeys,pigs,cows and 2 Great Pyrenees dogs on the loose) just called to ask hubby to come shoot a raccoon they trapped at noon that is clearly not looking right. We have advised to contact the Ministry as Ontario is seeing some rabies cases lately. Maybe it's related to my attack earlier.

If I were facing the same situation as the original poster, I think it would take me about an hour or so to build myself a 3 or 4 wire electric fence around an acre or so of enclosed poultry pasture and what I would build would be pretty certain to keep most 4 legged predators like coyotes, foxes and such out.  But unless I was willing to go an extra step and find a way to kill all the vegetation beneath the wires, I would also have to commit to spending an hour or so a week maintaining it to keep the vegetation from growing up high enough to short my fence out. I'd have to mow up one side and down the other to keep the pathway clear, and maybe weed eat now and then or else move the fence off to one side to help with that.

If I were willing to take on that additional amount of work, I think I could keep them safe, provided they would also stay on the inside. With one of those hot wires being about 5 inches or so off the ground....and a full acre, they might. That fence would be there waiting for the varmints 24/7 and 365 days a year.

Great idea...wonderful post.

Quote:

Yesm, Only get a dog if you also want a pet with the chicken guarding being a bonus..
But I disagree on training needed, we did no special training with our dog. Just got her used to seeing the chickens in the run and then watching a few days as she got used to them being in the yard before allowing them to be together.
Now, get the wrong dog, like a terrier or spaniel and you may never be able to train them . But the average calm medium size dog, such as lab mix, can be easy to condition.

But I disagree on training needed, we did no special training with our dog. Just got her used to seeing the chickens in the run and then watching a few days as she got used to them being in the yard before allowing them to be together.
Now, get the wrong dog, like a terrier or spaniel and you may never be able to train them . But the average calm medium size dog, such as lab mix, can be easy to condition.

Some dogs will be fine with the chickens without any training, but you won't know that until you introduce the dog to the chickens. If you plan to have to do some training and then find out you don't need to, bonus. If it happens the other way around, that's not good. Of course, you did say you "got her used to seeing the chickens in the run" which implies a measure of training took place however informal and low-key that it was; it was all that was needed in your situation.

I disagree that there is a 'wrong dog.' I have a pit bull terrier with very strong small animal predation instincts, and I trained her not to bother the chickens. I know it is successful because I can watch her on the security camera when she thinks she's outside unsupervised. I agree, though, that someone new to owning a dog should not get a breed with strong small animal predation tendencies if they have any hope of not having a chicken-killer on their hands.

Last edited:
I think some us are confusing pet dogs with working dogs.

I have cousins that raise sheep in eastern Colorado. They have working dogs, Great Pyrenees, that sleep with the sheep and guard the sheep. These animals are not pets they serve a purpose.

We have 2 pound dogs that patrol our fenced in yard 24 hours a day and nothing comes in the yard. We have coyotes, fox, raccoons, opossum, snakes, hawks and owls. Nothing will come in the yard as long as the dogs are outside. My dogs stay out all night with the chickens that are locked up in the coop. One of my rescue dogs will come into the run and visit with chickens while I clean. She seems to know that the chickens are off limits but likes to help me clean up helping herself to the leftovers.

I think some us are confusing pet dogs with working dogs.

I have cousins that raise sheep in eastern Colorado. They have working dogs, Great Pyrenees, that sleep with the sheep and guard the sheep. These animals are not pets they serve a purpose.
Very good point! A pet dog can keep predators off the premises, sometimes actually deterring or killing a predator. A working dog has a specific job. In the case of LGDs, that job is to protect the flock. Period. Not to be a pet and hang out with its person at all times.

Back
Top Bottom