Dog paralysis..any ideas? *UPDATE*

Dogs can become paralyzed from the bite of a tick. Can you get the dog to a vet? Check the dog carefully for ticks and if it's long haired, you may want to shave the dog. If it's tick bite paralysis, once the tick is removed, the dog will improve dramatically. If not caught, the paralysis will eventually destroy the dog's ability to breathe, and he will die.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/tick-bite-paralysis/page1.aspx

are there any ponds near by they could have drank from? There is a toxic algae if the dogs ingest it can die rather quickly from it.

Hope she makes it!

PS, you can get your dogs yearly shot from the TSC stores, for 5.00$ Learn to give the shots yourself. Won't cost alot, it's easy to do and it'll give you some piece of mind.

Last edited:
Quote:
Bingo. I was also thinking tick paralysis.
sad.png

She hasn't changed any.. She runs in our yard only, dunno how she'd get poisoned. I have found nothing out there (mice, rats, etc.)that she would have gotten. I don't think she has ticks, she has Frontline on, and I can't see any ticks on her right now and I have looked today. I thought about tick paralysis too. The other dog died, so I'm not holding out too much hope. Kita is an old dog and fat, so her health isn't what it should be to start with. Whatever this is killed my very healthy young 2 yr. old picture of health dog. I just want to know what it is and maybe save her...but like I said...NOT getting hopes up. The parvo thing was just a guess, and doesn't completely fit, but those parvo viruses have been mutating for years, so still not completely ruled out without a fecal. She has gone down in a matter of hours. The younger dog lasted a few days, maybe we have time with her.

Just a curious question....if tick bite paralysis is uncommon..what are the odds of two dogs getting that within 2 weeks of each other? Anyway, headed to the vet. Will post as soon as I know anything.

Quote:
Pretty darn low, unless you are really infested with ticks.

I lost a dog to tick paralysis. Found the tick well embedded in the back of his neck near the shoulders.

Waiting to hear.

Praise the Lord, she's gonna make it!!!!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
From what the vet said and what we can figure, she has just simply developed an affinity for chicken poo
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
At least she'll live, but UGH...NASTY dog!!
lol.png
She had a very high bacteria count in her stool, several different kinds of yuckiness, but no parasites, no viral nasties, and nothing otherwise abnormal!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
Now I just have to make sure she isn't outside too long and snacking between meals *shudder* She's got meds for bacteria, and antinflammatory for her leg symptoms. Vet said the bacterial infection probably just has taken it's toll on her and made her really weak, and she IS a fatty, so weak+chunk=hard time walking. WHEW...turned out to be a good day
wink.png

That's good to know! Glad she's going to be alright. I new there had to be a good reason other than "Ick!" to not let them eat chicken poops!

Back
Top Bottom