dog pen chicken coop

ajcb42

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
ct
Has anyone built a coop around a dog pen? if you have are there any pic you can show me

You mean like this.....??

The dog run has chicken wire on the inside, chain link on the outside and I have done a skirt of hardware cloth. the hardware cloth is 1" high on the run and skirted about 1'. The coup is only 4X8 and 7-8 high.

Last edited:
Wouldnt it be more beneficial to have the dog pen outside the chicken area? The dogs would serve as a predator deterrent. I assume you are just trying to work with what you already have, but it is easier to keep dogs comtained than to stop predation when so many predators are small or crafty enough to find access into a coop and run, or reach in through fencing. For example, a dog can contained with wire fence that has large holes, but this does not work to protect or contain chickens. Also, if your dogs have any predatory instinct, it could keep your chickens in constant distress, or even the dogs barking could be distressful to the chickens. This affects laying and general health.

Maybe you could describe your situation a little more...:)

Nice coop.I was thinking of the pen being the frame of the coop what do you think, I thought I would put up wood walls with windows ect

Wouldnt it be more beneficial to have the dog pen outside the chicken area? The dogs would serve as a predator deterrent. I assume you are just trying to work with what you already have, but it is easier to keep dogs comtained than to stop predation when so many predators are small or crafty enough to find access into a coop and run, or reach in through fencing. For example, a dog can contained with wire fence that has large holes, but this does not work to protect or contain chickens. Also, if your dogs have any predatory instinct, it could keep your chickens in constant distress, or even the dogs barking could be distressful to the chickens. This affects laying and general health.
Maybe you could describe your situation a little more...
smile.png
the dog pen is the chicken run, not for dogs.
D.gif

Im thinking of the dog pen as a foundation for a coop built around it. i figured since i am not very good at building so this way the frame is done

Not sure how that would work. You would still need to do some framing to screw the walls onto right? Hope somebody has answers for you!

I'm sure I will going out to gt the wood know should be a interesting project i'll take pics a long the way

build the coop inside the dog run. there are lots of coop/runs pictured in the coops section at the top of this page. scroll through them and find one you like. You can make a coop from a dog house. Put legs on it and raise it a couple of feet, add some doors for access, maybe a nest box on the outside, and you're ready for your chickens. I raised pheasants that way, they didn't have a coop just some habitat to hide in, and they were happy.

Dependant on your climate in the winter they may not need a coop. A place with a roof and protected on three sides can be used. Naturally a roost and nest box would be needed. Search these forums some before you start and you will probably find something that interests you.

Back
Top Bottom