dog pen chicken coop

I built mine from a 6X6 that my wife bought from our neighbor for $20. I had to modify one panel to make the gate. I used some scrap metal, chicken wire and lumber I had laying around from some other building projects. It houses 7 Black Tailed Buff Japanese bantams. They go up in it at night and free range during the day. The nest boxes are on the left behind the tan/whitedoor. The door for them to go in and out of is two pieces of GE lexan greenhouse panels. They slide in a J channel track and have a pin that goes through both panels and into a 2x4 stud in the middle of the big opening. The floor is covered with aluminum coil stock left over from building my house and the coop is supper easy to clean. Just slide the door open and rake out the poo into a dust pan then slide the doors to the other side and repeat.

Last edited:
I guess it could be done, although it seems a waste of a dog run that could be used as a chicken run to me. I know you mentioned that it would already be framed, but you'd have to drill into the metal tubing to attach boards, and that seems like that'd be more work than nailing together a 2x4 frame???

I built mine from a 6X6 that my wife bought from our neighbor for $20. I had to modify one panel to make the gate. I used some scrap metal, chicken wire and lumber I had laying around from some other building projects. It houses 7 Black Tailed Buff Japanese bantams. They go up in it at night and free range during the day. The nest boxes are on the left behind the tan/whitedoor. The door for them to go in and out of is two pieces of GE lexan greenhouse panels. They slide in a J channel track and have a pin that goes through both panels and into a 2x4 stud in the middle of the big opening. The floor is covered with aluminum coil stock left over from building my house and the coop is supper easy to clean. Just slide the door open and rake out the poo into a dust pan then slide the doors to the other side and repeat.

Thanks
Thanks You've given me some nice idea's I my pen is 9x9. I am spray painting green so far so good

I guess it could be done, although it seems a waste of a dog run that could be used as a chicken run to me. I know you mentioned that it would already be framed, but you'd have to drill into the metal tubing to attach boards, and that seems like that'd be more work than nailing together a 2x4 frame???

The pen is 9x9 I don't have the biggest yard so it's more space efficient I have 6 chickens who are living in a small coop in my gazebo that My kids bought me for mothers day 4 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom