Dog pen for chicken run question

RIVERA69R

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
VENICE FL
i plan to go to lowes and buy a 6ft high by 7.5ft wide by 13ft long chainlink dog pen and use it for my chicken run i plan to dig it in the ground a little and it will but up perfectly with my coop you can also buy a sunscreen to cover the top which i will do and i figure i will put hardwire cloth around the bottom and up about 3 ft or so. So no preditors can get their hands through the wire and grab a chicken. does that sound like a plan or any other suggestions

p.s i plan to have only 4 chickens

That's what I've done, too - works great for a few clucks. I covered the entire top with chicken wire and about half of it on top with a tarp for shade. Wrapped the chain link with chicken wire about 3 feet up like you're planning to do.

Yeah the dog run is 175.00 and the sunscreen top is like 50 or so i figure the time and money it would take me to build one it seems to be a deal

That's the exact size of our chain link chicken run, but we have 11 chickens. Your 4 chickens will love the space and you'll have room for more in the future. Here's a link that shows a picture of ours:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131092

We also butted our coop up to one end and just left the extra chain link rolled at the end, so if we ever needed to convert it back we could. We bought ours off craigslist for $100, but even if you buy new, $175 sounds like a good price.

Quote:
Ive seen your pics before thats a cool setup im going to do the bricks around it like that also thanks for the ideas

That is what I did for my run and it's working wonderfully so far.

Edit: for the top of mine I just used another 6x6 panel laid on top. But I plan to extend the run this summer and I need to figure out a new idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom