Dog pen for chicken run question

Quote:
Wow. We are planning to do the same thing, from Lowe's, but it costs like $220! Not counting the top tarp.

My wife thinks this is a good idea, and it seems the BYC gurus agree!

Now if only I could get that price!
roll.png

Quote:
Wow. We are planning to do the same thing, from Lowe's, but it costs like $220! Not counting the top tarp.

My wife thinks this is a good idea, and it seems the BYC gurus agree!

Now if only I could get that price!
roll.png

well when i went on line to lowes.com it said 220.00 but when i went to my specific store the 175 price came up so if you didnt already check your local store online and see

That's just what we have for our 10 girls and we put a solid roof over half of it and flight net stuff over the other half. This way even when it rains or snows they usually have a place to get out and peck around. I just wish I could regrow some grass in there for them but I guess I'll just have to get a tractor for them for the summer to get them out a little.

We have done that for one of our runs. I'm planning on building a few more coops over the next few months and found a guy selling some used chainlink fencing. Bought over 170' of 6' chainlink in rolls for $150. Found him on craigslist.

Ya the chain link pen will work awesome!! I have 14 in a pen that is attached to my coop. The chain link pen is 5ft high by 8 feet wide by 10 feet long. I know its a bit small but I am going to expand it in the summer, well Spring!!

Cody!!

I have a 6x8 coop with 7.5x13 dog run with 5 Hens & a Roo.

I put Deer netting over the top to keep the hawks out. Super cheap, and gets the job done.

I'm expanding now, because I just set some eggs in the bator, and have 20 chicks coming in the mail in another week or so.

Here's a tip about dog runs...

The kind you get from Lowes has a roll of chain link that you have to wrap around the whole thing. So if you ever want to move it, or more likely make it bigger, it's a real pain in the patoot to undo and reconfigure.

For not a lot more money, you can get dog pen panels at Tractor Supply. Each panel is a stand-alone unit, so all you have to do it attach or remove two clamps at each corner to reconfigure the pen.

Comes in very handy when you're enlarging the pen, resectioning it to house different chicken breeds, or reconfiguring it so it's over fresh grass.

Kathy in Texas

PS: To keep out predators, lay a 12- to 18-in wide piece of chicken wire flat on the ground beneath the outer prerimeter (coyote proofing).

I was thinking of doing this too, but how are you going to "attach" it to the ground to keep it stable (or is this not a problem) Will a dog pen move easily if a large dog or coyote jumps at it to get chickens? As you can probably tell, I am real new to this chicken thing.

stewie's mom :

I was thinking of doing this too, but how are you going to "attach" it to the ground to keep it stable (or is this not a problem) Will a dog pen move easily if a large dog or coyote jumps at it to get chickens? As you can probably tell, I am real new to this chicken thing.

Our kennel is 7 x 13 and there is no way it can move from a dog or coyote - it's very heavy (this does include some 2 x 4s on the top of it and some lightweight corrugated plastic roof panels also).​

Back
Top Bottom