Dog Proof Coop?

Quote:
I haven't tried it vs determined dogs but I wouldn't, either -- it just does not have that much zap.

A bigger fence charger would be more expensive but more appropriate. You really need 5-6k volts to impress a determined predator, and even then, no guarantees. A single strand WILL NOT do it, you need multiple strands (height, number and location depends how exactly you're doing it).

Foregoing chickens til the dogs are gone sounds smartest to me. However if you want to try to build a dogproof coop, my suggestion would be along the lines of: Box it completely inside a chainlink prefab kennel (with roof) and dig in something so they can't tunnel under. Then for the coop itself, use 2x4 or heavier framing and 3/4" plywood iwth LOTS of screws. Attach your wire mesh (on windows) by sandwiching it as follows: 2x6 then wire then the plywood wall then a 1x6, bolted through in a number of places. Doors need to be very strong, totally flush so the dogs can't pry a corner out to work on, and personally I'd put two bars across (that slot thru metal keepers) and are securely latched or locked in place.

however by the time you spend all that money (esp. on the plywood), I dunno whether you'll think it's worth it.

Condolences and best of luck,

Pat

Quote:
Most chicken wire will not stop dogs. Honest. Raccoons either. I really REALLY REALLY wouldn't try it, given that you have a KNOWN dog problem, not even if you think your chickenwire is pretty ehavy gauge.

Use 1x1 welded wire mesh, or 2x4 mesh if it's far enough away from the chickens. Both of those are generally a pretty heavy wire that dogs won't go thru. Or chainlink, but again, has to be dog-strength chainlink, not the real flimsy stuff you sometimes see, and (this is important!) the long edges need to be FIRMLY wired or, better, attached along their length to a 4x4 or 2x6. Really. Dogs are STRONG.

Pat

Quote:
Most chicken wire will not stop dogs. Honest. Raccoons either. I really REALLY REALLY wouldn't try it, given that you have a KNOWN dog problem, not even if you think your chickenwire is pretty ehavy gauge.

Use 1x1 welded wire mesh, or 2x4 mesh if it's far enough away from the chickens. Both of those are generally a pretty heavy wire that dogs won't go thru. Or chainlink, but again, has to be dog-strength chainlink, not the real flimsy stuff you sometimes see, and (this is important!) the long edges need to be FIRMLY wired or, better, attached along their length to a 4x4 or 2x6. Really. Dogs are STRONG.

Pat

I don't think your idea is 100% either, no offence:) I say this because my daughter had a boxer/bulldog/pitt type dog which she had trouble containing. Even chained up behind a fence that darn dog was a hudini she could even chew a hole through heavy gauge wire! Believe me it can & does happen!

Quote:

Pat

I don't think your idea is 100% either, no offence:) I say this because my daughter had a boxer/bulldog/pitt type dog which she had trouble containing. Even chained up behind a fence that darn dog was a hudini she could even chew a hole through heavy gauge wire! Believe me it can & does happen!

Oh absolutely!

But heavy gauge chainlink will stop dogs a whole HECK of a lot more of the time than chickenwire will.

I think it is a big mistake to use chickenwire when anything else is available.

Quite honestly, you cannot keep out bears without SERIOUS electric or construction of military-bunker nature; and very very determined dogs are not much easier to keep out than bears.

Pat

Apologies for talking about the dogs in my last post. If I had known your legal situation, I would not have suggested it.

I still think waiting until your legal battle is over to reestablish your flock would be best for your new chickies.

Good luck!

Quote:

Oh absolutely!

But heavy gauge chainlink will stop dogs a whole HECK of a lot more of the time than chickenwire will.

Quite honestly, you cannot keep out bears without SERIOUS electric or construction of military-bunker nature; and very very determined dogs are not much easier to keep out than bears.

Pat

Forgive me Pat I am sorry I missed the part about the chainlink fence!
big_smile.png
But any dog could dig under.

I am brand new to posting here but I've been lurking a while trying to read as much as possible when I read your post.

Haven't written because I know nothing about chickens, but I know a LOT about dogs
smile.png

I'm sorry you're in such a mess with the neighbors/dogs.

The only way I've been able to contain a serious and strong escape artist dog (you could put a coop in one and it would be safe) is a heavy welded wire kennel (not chain link) with a cement base and a roof. And lock the gates as most dogs can open a lot of latch types. The most determined dog will chew through chain link and climb or tunnel.

Like a lot of other people that have posted, I really think waiting till the dogs are gone is the safest option.

Quote:
Oh absolutely!

Pat

Forgive me Pat I am sorry I missed the part about the chainlink fence!
big_smile.png
But any dog could dig under.

Then I am guessing perhaps you also missed the next part of the sentence, where I said "with something so they can't dig under" <vbg>

Like buried wire, or extensive well-set pavers, or a wide heavy-gauge-wire apron.

wink.png

Pat

Do you need it to be dog proof or determined Pit Bull proof? My friends pit bull enjoys ripping apart coca nuts...for fun! The best bet if to make sure the dogs can't get to the coop at all. Like asking the owners to restrain their dog like good pet owners. And putting up a solid fence (buried in the ground)

For the coop, you would need a concrete pad and build the walls 6 feet high with concrete blocks, a steeply sloped metal roof.

For the run , you would need a concrete pad with heavy duty chain link fence bolted into the concrete, then about 4 feet high metal roofing around the bottom half of the fence which overlaps the fence and concrete. Also put a steeply sloped metal roof on the run.

Then an electric wire about 4 inches, 8 inches and 12 inches all around.

A padlock that requires a key on both doors.

~Rebecca

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom