Dog-proof fencing

With 2 strands of electric wire installed in a way you've probaably never seen , all the fence you need is a light weight fence that will keep chickens in .
How would I put the electric wire up and also be able to get in & out? I spend a lot of time in the garden and if I had to turn it off, it defeats the purpose of having it.

Also, I am hoping to keep costs down and use as few items as possible. I was thinking of just an electric fence, but there would be no protection against hawks which is the only daytime predator I have to worry about (besides my dogs).

How would I put the electric wire up and also be able to get in & out? I spend a lot of time in the garden and if I had to turn it off, it defeats the purpose of having it.

Also, I am hoping to keep costs down and use as few items as possible. I was thinking of just an electric fence, but there would be no protection against hawks which is the only daytime predator I have to worry about (besides my dogs).
Get in and out through a substantial gate . If no day time predators turn it off in daylight hours but i don't recommend electric only as the restraint for chickens . It's not a pleasant sound from Mrs hen when she makes contact .

Dogs -- usually only 1 encounter with a hot wire is all it takes to have a well trained dog . After a short training period it can usually be shut off for a week or more .

Get in and out through a substantial gate . If no day time predators turn it off in daylight hours but i don't recommend electric only as the restraint for chickens . It's not a pleasant sound from Mrs hen when she makes contact .

Dogs -- usually only 1 encounter with a hot wire is all it takes to have a well trained dog . After a short training period it can usually be shut off for a week or more .
Seems like that would work. But pricy having to get 6feet of fencing, plus the wire.

I was really hoping to just find some type of regular fencing to put around the garden. The dogs won’t be out there all day, and the chickens won’t be in it every day. So something pretty strong but doesn’t have to be Fort Knox..just enough of a deterrent that they can’t rip through in 2 seconds.

Thanks to everyone who’s replied with ideas! I have til June to figure this out. Lol

I don't know how determined your dogs are, but garden wire was enough for mine, though but I prefer welded as it's not too much more expensive and it will far out last the cheap stuff. The garden fence which is only PVC coated and tends to rust once that coating cracks so it's best for applications where it's not going to get challenged and bent up.

In most areas a fence raccoons can't get through will be needed and i've seen red fox go through cattle panels with a 6"X 6" opening .

Red Brand fencing has a wide selection that will work but as most fencing it isn't cheap .

https://www.redbrand.com/
Thanks! Not worried about fox or raccoon, they will have a hardware cloth run. Just need to keep the dogs out of my garden when I let the chickens eat the bugs before planting and clean it up after harvest!

I don't know how determined your dogs are, but garden wire was enough for mine, though but I prefer welded as it's not too much more expensive and it will far out last the cheap stuff. The garden fence which is only PVC coated and tends to rust once that coating cracks so it's best for applications where it's not going to get challenged and bent up.
Could you elaborate on “garden wire”? Thanks!

Green Vinyl Coated Wire Fence (they also have black) it's cheap, blends in with the environment you really don't notice the green or black at all.

But I'd still go with welded wire.
Thanks! That’s probably what I’ll end up getting.

Thanks! Not worried about fox or raccoon, they will have a hardware cloth run. Just need to keep the dogs out of my garden when I let the chickens eat the bugs before planting and clean it up after harvest!
To have an elect. fence be more effective , install the Re-Bar posts with a spade attached , at approx. a 45° angle leaning out from the area to be protected . Orient the spade parallel to fence direction for best support .

Attach 2 wires , 1 lowest , nearest the garden about 8 inches from earth and the second approximately 18 "elevated above the ground . This creates sort of a maze an animal would need to navigate through to enter an area .

Dry grass and or bone dry soil is an insulator so for a more effect of electric fence i recommend keeping the dirt damp in that area if possible .

Back
Top Bottom