Dog Proofing a Coop

I run 36 inch hardware clothe around the entire enclosure. 12 inches out and 2 feet up. Use landscape staples to secure the cloth on the ground and roofing nails to secure to my frame. Has stopped everything except weasels and bears. Everything else between can't get in.

The "down" is not the control - it is the "out" - you can actually lay the skirting at the surface and still have an effective deterrent. As you saw, a predator will continue to dig down to get under something - that is why having the skirt run out is what makes this work as explained above regarding how ground predators approach barriers.

Sounds like a good idea, but to be honest we didn't think about doing this at the time!

I guess the main thing is keeping the foxes at bay by any means
celebrate.gif

We haven't had any foxes get in since, but I think if we did then we would place our chicken wire "out" as well!

I know one thing for sure, if those dogs had a shock collar on and tried to dig under your fence with buried shock wire at the fence, they would very quickly "unlearn" that bad habit. Perhaps suggest this: Shock collar systems run about $200. A single fine might exceed this.

If you did decide to go with the electric fencing around the coop, couldn't it be wired in a way that would allow you to be able to turn it off if you and the Children were out in the yard?

I am not sure about the legality of shooting the dogs. I don't own a gun, and as I live in the city limits, I think there are laws against that, but I am not completely sure. However, if they do come through the fence again, animal control should take the dogs away at that point. Third times a charm!

As far as putting the wire on the bottom of the coop, I am more concerned about the dogs busting through the sides and possible reinforcement there. I think the flared wire should keep the dogs from digging into the coop, but maybe I am wrong here? Has anyone had dogs dig past buried wire into their coop?
you always always always have the right to defend your property. Yes there are laws in most towns that say no shooting inside the city limits. There are probably laws that also say these disrespectful people are supposed to keep their dogs chained or fenced or inside, but at the least under control at all times. What may be pets in their yards, have become predators in your yard.

I do know a lot of people are squeamish when it comes to talking about killing someones pets, but they don't have a problem with YOURS being killed....We had a neighbor who would just turn his dogs out several times a day. I had issues with the dogs coming to my yard, doing their business, messing up my yard, killing my shrubbery, growling barking and baring their teeth at me, my wife and grand daughter. I talked to the neighbor several times about it, as did others in the subdivision. This guy was just a total jerk, he'd had animal control called several times. The last straw was it coming in the yard with me out there, approaching me with teeth bare and growling. Owner standing in his yard watching, and I called out to him to come get his dog, keep it out of my yard or I'd shoot it. He said it would be the last thing I ever did, and laughed when I pulled the phone and called 911. They sent a police officer, and animal control....animal control ticketed him for the dogs, and he and the police officer said that now that there was a vicious dog report filed (my phone call included vicious dog growling and bared teeth) that I could shoot the dog on sight in my yard. Then the police officer turned and asked if I wanted to press charges for his threatening me....I told him at that time I didn't, but would like to hold that open and on record that if he ever did it again I would do what I had to do. Another neighbor told me later that his fine on the tickets he got was $250 PER TICKET. We never saw his dogs out without being on a leash after that. I guess that $750 taught him.....

I've told all that just to verify, you have the right to protect your property. If you can't/won't shoot the dog, be firm with animal control that you want something done to protect your property! pet in the neighbors yard, predator in yours

in answer to your other question, they'll stop digging when they hit the wire because it will hurt. Maybe they'll break a nail and it will hurt them bad enough they'll just quit coming around.

Last edited:

UPDATE: Here is my reinforced coop. I attached cattle panels to sides with 1 1/2" fence nails (they are shaped like a U). I love how sturdy they are. I have used the left over bits of cattle panels as protection on the bottom of fence. We have also spoken to our neighbor again. We often hear the dogs digging at the bottom of the fence which is infuriating. If our neighbor doesn't stop his dogs from digging at our fence, I will contact Animal Control again. I have also spoken to a good friend who is a lawyer and she told me that we can file a civil suit against the neighbors if we want. I don't know if I want to take it that far....yet. Thanks for everyone's help with this. It is much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom