Dog question...

Yes, I was talking about the invisible fence. I am actually glad you discouraged me from that, I would imagine that the prongs on the collar wouldn't be that comfortable to wear day in and day out. So I think my best bet would be to install a mesh type fence around the property and just fence it so that the front area is off limits to the dog. That way heating fuel delivery and any other deliveries won't be a problem, and the fencing won't get in my husbands way when he is clearing snow (he often piles it up in the yard). So I need to wait until the fencing is done, then I can revisit the idea of getting a dog. Must... have... patience...
lol.png

So on the idea of having a LGD, one more question before I forget... collars. Do your dogs wear collars while out doing their thing? And if they do, would a break away collar be better? I don't want to have a dog get hung up anywhere and get stuck. Is that an issue with dogs?

Last edited:
One thing, I don't think that the prongs on the collars are a problem, but they do need to be check very regularly. Make sure they aren't loose, that hair under them isn't getting matted, etc etc. Thick coated dogs will sometimes get their hair trimmed so that the contacts can reach the skin. :) But, yeah, IFs are more a "second barrier" than a primary fence, at least in my mind. They are great to put around the inside of a "real" fence if you have a dog that is a jumper.

I would keep a break-away collar on the dog, just in case. I know a lot of GSD owners who don't even let their dogs wear collars in the house for that reason. Some have almost had dogs die because they were playing with another dog and jaws or legs got tangled into collars. But have the dog microchipped. It makes a huge difference in getting a dog back home, esp in a breed that may have a tendency to wander

Last edited:
Some LGD people have collars on them, some dont. There is an Anatolian person who designed a break away specifically because one of her dogs got hung on the fence. I dont keep them on my dogs anymore, even in the house, because I have had dogs get them caught on a crate and once even on a cabinet knob! Thank goodness I was there!
I will see if I can find the site for the breakaways.

Some LGD people have collars on them, some dont. There is an Anatolian person who designed a break away specifically because one of her dogs got hung on the fence. I dont keep them on my dogs anymore, even in the house, because I have had dogs get them caught on a crate and once even on a cabinet knob! Thank goodness I was there!
I will see if I can find the site for the breakaways.

It isn't a rush at this point, but if you can find the site I would appreciate it and save it as a favorite. Back when I had collars on the house cats I used break away collars and one day the cat didn't have his collar on. I found the collar months later in an area where I would not have thought to look for the cat. I am surprised I don't see them readily on the market for dogs...

My mistake, the ASD breeder didnt design it, but she does have the info on her page (good breeder btw, nice dogs, nice lady) Here it is:
http://www.anatolianshepherd.cc/Kharapage.htm

I think they arent used by dog owners much b/c people want to hook leashes to their dogs collar.

I know some people who use 2 collars. One breakaway that holds the tags and is worn all the time and a 2nd regular collar that is only on for walks :)
I agree that with a LGD I would want to use a breakaway.

My mistake, the ASD breeder didnt design it, but she does have the info on her page (good breeder btw, nice dogs, nice lady) Here it is:
http://www.anatolianshepherd.cc/Kharapage.htm

I think they arent used by dog owners much b/c people want to hook leashes to their dogs collar.

I think the collar on Chinook's site is the same one that I posted the link about, both are called 'keep safe' and the design looks the same. It has a ring on both sides of the break away so could also be used with a leash (hook the leash on both rings). I'll probably get a few now, then get one when I get a LGD (for now I think I should put those on my Shelties and GSD, none of which would make a good LGD but are a deterrant if anyone wanted to break into my house - if nothing else intruders would go deaf
tongue.png
)

So sad... I want to get a LGD NOW. But as I am not prepared I have to wait. Sometimes I really hate having to do the responsible adult thing... :( It's so much nicer to be able to throw a tantrum and blame somebody else for what I can't have.
lol.png

In my experience, fencing off any an area for the birds and the Pyr works great. The needs to be pretty good dog proof fencing material (we have wire, no climb, fencing), 4ft or greater with a posts or T-bars tall enough to string wire (barbed or electric) up another foot if needed. Especially when young, our Pyr challenged the fencing, mostly trying to go over it. They love to escape. I think having the dog spayed or neutered and getting them a dog friend can help.

Snow is a big problem. The wind causes it to drift along the fencing and pull the wire fencing down. We have strung about a foot of barb wire on top of our 4ft fencing due to the drifting. There are areas that we need to dig out a few sections a day or two after a storm but, it sure beats losing the dogs.

Having the Pyr was the best thing we ever did for the chickens, even with the fencing issues.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom