1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog run conversion.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChembearChic, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ChembearChic

ChembearChic New Egg

Apr 4, 2013
    This might sound a bit crazy (I've heard that before) but I want to convert my dog run into a modified hoop coop. My plan is to cover the whole thing with some sort of plastic or tarp for the winter. We now have pvc pipes hooped over the top covered with a tarp similar to a hoop coop. For the winter I want to cover the sides with something, I'm just not sure what I should use. I've been looking at plastic film like one would use to make a green house. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Cindy

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Don't know what to use but if you get snow make sure it's strong enough to handle a snow load.

3. BStump

BStump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Ohio
    My Coop
    I wrapped my coop in Tyvek for the winter. Tyvek is a very durable house wrap that builders put on before siding a house. I had a roll leftover from the residing of my house, but you might score some on craigslist for cheap.

4. Zeebee

Zeebee New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Oregon
    Hi There-
    You're the first I have heard who has done the same thing as me... I used 2 welded wire dog kennels side by side to create my chicken run, then I built my coop and placed it inside the kennel so the chickens always have access to their own secure coop as well as their decent-sized foraging area at will.

The kennel came with a roof made of tarp material (heavy rip-stop nylon), as well as a mesh-like tarp-type-material wrapping to go around the outside walls of the kennel... this wrap I use to block sun or wind... and the roof is key to keeping the run dry and shaded.

You should be just fine using a tarp as a roof - keeping the run dry will make life cleaner!!

Best Luck!
    ZeeBee
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by