dog shaking, lethargic and foaming at the mouth slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That is exactly what I was going to mention. My dog has never actually eaten a toad (that I know of) but when she is playing with one and licks it she will foam at the mouth. It's actually very funny to see... but if she ate one and started shaking from it, it would scare the tar out of me!

I hope it was only a toad, or two. Maybe your dog keeps digging out because he has developed a addiction to toads.
wink.png

Quote:
Did they give you any suggestions to make him regurgetate the substance? I would not know where to begin
hu.gif
Sounds like they are not much help
hmm.png
The first thing I thought of was antifreeze poisoning or something similar.
hugs.gif

Either syrup of ipecac or a few tablespoon fulls of hydrogen peroxide will make a dog barf. We tend to keep both, some dogs are harder to make swallow than others and you use less ipecac.

We also keep liquid charcoal like the vet has for situations where we don't know what or when a dog ingested something suspicious.

Good luck.

i just gave him some peroxide and it seem to take effect pretty quick..while i was holding him i notice that his stomach is growling really bad!

I had a dog years ago same thing happen. Found he had gotten hold of a toad. He was a dashund so the toad was to big for him to eat. But he got enough of it in his mouth to make him sick for a couple days. Hope your pooch gets better soon.

Is there any other vet that you could see?

I'm surprised that the vet went out on a limb and said that, "It's probably just something he ate" over the phone, about a dog they haven't physically seen who is shaking and drooling.

I worked at a vet once (only reception and kennel so this doesn't make me an expert on anything) and we accepted post-dated checks. Is there any other vet in your area?

Before I met my husband, he had a cocker die of being poisoned from eating a rat that had eaten poison. This is a terrible thing to experience - I wouldn't want you or your family to have to go through that. It it so hard to tell what could be causing it, but so many of the things that could cause that type of reaction are potentially fatal. And I have to very gently say that shaking, drooling and lethargy seem like a dire emergency to me, as in, your dog may well need timely help if there is going to be a chance for him.

No matter what the outcome is for the dog, I would find another vet. Most vets will make arrangements in an emergency.

Things like this make me very thankful that I bought a very cheap health insurance policy for Leo, my Lhasa Apso. It's cheap, and it has paid off for us. It even pays for his teeth cleaning. When Leo had his first seizure, the insurance paid for a lot of tests, brain scans, eeg, etc. He was able to go to a doggie neurologist and be diagnosed with a rare case of adult onset hydrocephalus. It was possibly a result of a reaction to a distemper shot, genetic, or an inapparent injury. We will never know for sure. It is very difficult to watch him have a seizure.

If you ever witness a dog having any kind of seizure, do NOT put your face or hands near their mouth, keep children away and keep other pets away. During a seizure the animal's senses are disrupted. They may not be able to recognize friendly faces, and they are afraid. They might bite in fear or be attacked by another pet because they are acting strangely. If your dog is having a grand mal seizure (those are the big ones where they loose all body control), gently talk to the dog and stroke it (but not near the face). If you have quick access to one of those flexible ice packs, hold it on the dogs back just in front of the tail. During a grand mal seizure the victim uses a lot of energy and his/her temperature rises. The ice lessens the stress on the body. Only put the ice pack on the back right in front of the tail. The skin in other areas may be too sensitive or it may be too shocking. Studies done by vets have indicated that this is the best place. When Leo has had seizures without the ice pack, he woke up blind and confused. He wouldn't even respond to his name. He was blind for 5 minutes, and took at least a half an hour for him to seem to know who or where he was. With the ice, Leo has no blindness and is only confused for a few minutes.

Sorry if this has gone off topic, but if the dog continues to have seizures they may get worse and the info might come in handy to the OP or other owners of dogs with seizures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom