Dog still having "accidents" in the house

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
I love our new dog, don't get me wrong but I just wish this would stop. We have figured out a few things so far about her:
1. She was trained to urinate in her crate and abused by the previous owner
2. She pees out of anxiety
3. She doesnt let us know if she has to pee
Duchess will pee in the house...specifically in our sun room...if she is anxious. I'm working with her on this and I have seen improvement. She gets anxious if "daddy" is working outside. I'll take her out to pee and she will refuse to leave the porch. I'll bring her back in after walking her around and she will run away into the sun room and pee. Now that we know this I'm keeping her attached to me while daddy is outside and it is working. The problem is the crate peeing. My SO worked midnights last night so he's been sleeping all day. Duchess asked to go potty before he layed down and she went, came inside, and hopped in bed with him. No problem, right? Well I was quietly cleaning the restroom so as not to wake my dear SO and I heard Duchess jump off the bed. When she didnt come out of the room I went in to check on her. She was sitting in her crate...licking a spot. When she heard me she looked immediately guilty and put her ears back. Oh What happened? Oh no...lets go outside. Here in lies my problem...she KNOWS not to pee in there. She is scared she will get in trouble and is generally afraid (something from her previous owner I'm guessing). She intentionally got out of our bed to go urinate in there and did not come and ask me to take her out. How can I reinforce her to come and ask me to go to the bathroom? We have tried the "bell" method and she will use that to poop. Peeing though...thats always been an issue. I have never had to clean up poop in our house, just pee. I try really hard to make everything positive for her but it is very frustrating. She will go weeks...maybe a whole month...with no accidents. And then all of a sudden...puddle of pee. Large puddles too. Shes had probably 3 urine tests at this point and everything is always negative. I'm worried because I might be taking a full time job here soon and I wont be able to take her out every hour to have a potty opportunity. Advice?

Possibly a bladder infection or something wrong with her urinary tract. A Vet visit is needed.
Is she spayed ?
Yes and as I've said she has been tested multiple times. She is currently undergoing heartworm treatment. I'm not sure but I dont think this behavior started until after she was spayed. Then again we had only had her 3 weeks by then

I'm not sure how this will really work, but I was going to try this with our dog because I had almost the exact same situation. Only my dog pee'd on the floor mat in the bathroom. I didn't have to try it though because she suddenly got it and never pee'd in the house again. :celebrate

Here was my plan, I was gong to buy some pee pads and train her to use those instead of the bathroom mat. Then slowly move the pee pad toward the back door and eventually put it on the porch. My dogs are outside in a fenced yard all day, so I was only battling her night-time/evening pee's.

I'm not sure how this will really work, but I was going to try this with our dog because I had almost the exact same situation. Only my dog pee'd on the floor mat in the bathroom. I didn't have to try it though because she suddenly got it and never pee'd in the house again. :celebrate

Here was my plan, I was gong to buy some pee pads and train her to use those instead of the bathroom mat. Then slowly move the pee pad toward the back door and eventually put it on the porch. My dogs are outside in a fenced yard all day, so I was only battling her night-time/evening pee's.
This worked wonders when she had issues with only wanting to drink water outside. Perhaps I'll try this. Thank you

Don't let her have access to the cage during the day. Reinforce going outside to go potty by giving her a treat when you say let's go potty or whatever you say, use some excitement in your voice about going potty and then a treat. Then take her out and give her a treat as soon as she is done going, not when your back in the house but as soon as she is done. Take her out more often.
You could also try feeding her in her cage. Most dogs won't potty by their food.

Don't let her have access to the cage during the day. Reinforce going outside to go potty by giving her a treat when you say let's go potty or whatever you say, use some excitement in your voice about going potty and then a treat. Then take her out and give her a treat as soon as she is done going, not when your back in the house but as soon as she is done. Take her out more often.
You could also try feeding her in her cage. Most dogs won't potty by their food.
We tried feeding in the crate but she would not eat. I take her out every hour and after she goes she immediately gets a treat. She gets one for ringing the bell to go potty. She gets one for wiping her paws after coming in. We tried the no bedding in the crate and she just peed on the floor under the crate. She gets told over and over with positive reinforcement what a good girl she is when she pees outside. Ive read soooo many books and soooo many articles on this. Ive learned her anxious peeing is similar to that of a dog peeing because it's excited. The way she is....its just like she forgets we are not jerks. She's very defensive of her urine and can get aggressive if she's afraid. She's such a sweet and smart dog. I just want to help her. I'm trying to be patient but it's almost been a year now

Back
Top Bottom