Dog swollen eye

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KDOGG331, Jun 6, 2017.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I hope they do too :(

Even if it's not licking their body?

And i will have them check

He also keeps coming upstairs and wanting to lay on my bed or laying on the floor downstairs.... maybe it's lower tban my dads bed? Or cooler? He lays in the hall too. He never comes upstairs lol

I hope they find what's wrong, he seems kinda weak

And i should note by always lethargic i meant he sleeps a lot cause of his breed LOL

But the last couple days and today he's been more so

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Can I get him some electrolytes or something?

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh and he has greenish eye boogers now and a lot of it :/

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He should be okay until tomorrow, he may have a fever so he seeking out a cooler surface. Could be the sting or bite left an abscess. I don't necessarily feel right handing out vet advice, but you can usually give dogs plain regular aspirin for pain, though some get an upset stomach from it. Otherwise I would wait until tomorrow, but I know it's hard to do that.

5. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks a lot for all your help! It's really useful

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Gator is going to the vet at 9am tomorrow morning. My dad called around 1 or 2 and he was at lunch but I guess he finally talked to him and yeah aha

We were going to have to pick up sedatives tonight but then he said he was lethargic and they didn't want to do that anymore. Personally I think it's a mistake but hey :lau

I guess they don't like giving heavy sedatives (anaesthesia) on weekends cause they like someone to be there when he wakes up so it was either today, tomorrow, or Monday.

But of course right after we said he was lethargic Gator perks up :lau

He has drank A LOT today. Which is good cause I don't think he drank yesterday like at all or at least not very much. We gave him a small roll of wet food too.

And he sat up when i went in.

But he's really gaunt looking. His cheeks are sunken in and his bump is more prominent. :/

I'm hoping that's just cause he's been sick for 2 weeks though and he's still a little bit skinny from last month when he refused that food he hated lol which is weird cause we gave him wet food and cooked for him and stuff but idk, i guess he usually has that in addition to kibble.

We also just bought TOTW a few days ago and there have been lots of problems recently with that brand so I hope it's not that. :(

But he only had maybe a cup or two, I only fed it one night before i found out

I am hoping he is just skinny from not eating as much and it's not something more serious. :(

But he ran for an omelette and roast beef deli meat this morning says my dad and he ate that roll and he has wanted to dust bathe twice today and drank A LOT

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Poor Gator, I feed TOTW, have for 3 years now, my dogs are very healthy on it, I like the wetlands and the Pacific stream flavors. I hope he's okay, I will be waiting to hear what they find. Did you adopt him? Your signature says he's 5? He looks older than that.

KDOGG331 likes this.
  8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Really? Yeah, it's weird, I've seen lots of good, recent reviews on Chewy but I found a consumer reports thing with tons of terrible things, dogs on it for years and getting really sick, turning it up etc :/ idk, maybe a bad batch or something, idk aha

Thanks, I hope so too :/ I'll let you know!

And nope! Got him from a breeder in western MA. May 2012 (cinco de mayo :p lol ). He just turned 5 in March.

I guess he just has that older, wiser look :)

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My take on reviews is most satisfied customers keep buying a product, and those dissatisfied like to complain a lot. It seems whenever a dog gets sick someone blames the dog food. TOTW did have some troubles a few years back but they have fixed the problems, my dogs have never been sick and are actually better eating it, but if your worried you could switch foods, though lots of dog foods get recalled if you follow that stuff.

Bigger dogs age quicker unfortunately. Our 100 pound hound dog only made it to 9 years old, it a sad fact with bigger dogs.

You got me involved in his life now, so I'm hoping he gets to feeling better.

KDOGG331 likes this.
  10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hmm I don't know, normally I'd agree (and I do technically still agree) and I don't normally pay any attention to the oh my dog got a little sick reviews but in this case I did just cause all the reviews had the same symptoms and most of the dogs got really sick and some had to go to the vet (and have expensive vet bills, etc, not just a little sick :( but i do admit the only reason I found out was cause a breeder posted about it aha although in this case some of the stuff, at least to me, is a bit worrying. But clearly there's still dogs that are doing fine on it, like your dogs. But it seems like a lot of dogs with the same symptoms. But i think I'm being paranoid LOL sorry :/

But yeah, no, i normally don't really look into recalls or anything, i just saw it but ya. They haven't issued one yet I don't think

We rotate brands. He's on NutriSource right now and has been on a bazillion others lol we change every month but usually the same few brands but yeah

Anyway, here's the site if your interested.

The one i saw

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/taste-of-the-wild.html

Aww sorry yours died so young! I hope Gator makes it longer but idk :/

And awww I'll definitely keep you updated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: