Dog thread!šŸ¾

Snoring doesn't necessarily indicate breathing issues. My grandfather's first ever dog was a notorious snorer. The dogs I grew up with would also snore. All these dogs were borderline dolichochephalic, and they were wonderful at their job
Exactly. Brew snores too. Or used to. Itā€™s not as often now.

I think I am done with writing the article :weeI canā€™t remember if I fixed all the things people mentioned before I stopped or not:oops: now there are too many pages to go back and find them

anyone have title ideas? Or want their dogā€™s picture in it? not sure how many if any dog pictures I will add

A common misconception is that inbreeding is only bad, the less the dog is related the healthier they are.

The reason why inbreeding can cause more health issues is because related animals more of the same genes, so the more variation the fewer chances of recessive genes matching up. But the flip side is that goes for healthy genes as well, its much easier for the health issues to hide and randomly appear again when there is more variation

The less related the less predictable the outcome of the breeding

Predictability means we can make better choices when pairing dogs. By having a smaller gene pool itā€™s easier to breed out or keep health issues under control. Breeders can learn what issues or strengths their line has, which means they can make a better decision on which dog should be bred from and what dog to breed their dog to

There are many Health issues, genetic or unknown, some testable, others not. There are some health issues that are in multiple different breeds but are caused be slightly different genes where its best to use a test that is specifically made for the gene we know appears in that breed.

Once you mix breeds you donā€™t get rid of these genes you simply mix them all together.

Another misconception I have heard people say is that designer breeds such has labradoodles are healthier because the few breeders who do test, test for more health issues then purebreds. As I mentioned before there are many different health issue, so how do people pick which tests are needed? By how many dogs get affected by the issues. Like everything with breeding its not actually such a black and white answer.

There are 3 different categories:

-The health tests that have to be done (many dogs where/are affected by it)

-heath tests that donā€™t have to be done (few dogs are affected by it)

-heath tests that arenā€™t considered at all for the breed (very few to no dogs affected)

For example english springer spaniel (in the uk) do not require hip tests since its not really a issues in the breed, some breeders still test for it but it isnā€™t necessary like it would be for german shepherds.

There are also many breeds that only require hip tests and thats it. I have found the more health tests the breed requires the more popular the breed is or was, more bad breeders = unhealthier dogs

Another thing to consider is the difference between line-breeding and inbreeding. I have heard many different definitions of line-breeding, the most common one and what they all basically come done to is line-breeding is selective inbreeding and inbreeding is not necessarily selective.

What does that mean and why does it matter?

Selective inbreeding means you remove the dogs that have any faults or healthy issues from the breeding plan and only breed the healthy dogs. If you inbreed with out carefully selecting which dogs to breed you will breed in the health issues rather then breeding in the healthy genes

Inbreeding can still cause issue if you inbreed too much, however how much is too much depends on the species. Generally the first signs of too much inbreeding in a healthy line is fertility issues and smaller litters

this is a great idea! I have so much dog stuff no idea how to store it all šŸ˜­ I keep collecting more
IMG_4602.jpg

I think I am done with writing the article :weeI canā€™t remember if I fixed all the things people mentioned before I stopped or not:oops: now there are too many pages to go back and find them

anyone have title ideas? Or want their dogā€™s picture in it? not sure how many if any dog pictures I will add

A common misconception is that inbreeding is only bad, the less the dog is related the healthier they are.

The reason why inbreeding can cause more health issues is because related animals more of the same genes, so the more variation the fewer chances of recessive genes matching up. But the flip side is that goes for healthy genes as well, its much easier for the health issues to hide and randomly appear again when there is more variation

The less related the less predictable the outcome of the breeding

Predictability means we can make better choices when pairing dogs. By having a smaller gene pool itā€™s easier to breed out or keep health issues under control. Breeders can learn what issues or strengths their line has, which means they can make a better decision on which dog should be bred from and what dog to breed their dog to

There are many Health issues, genetic or unknown, some testable, others not. There are some health issues that are in multiple different breeds but are caused be slightly different genes where its best to use a test that is specifically made for the gene we know appears in that breed.

Once you mix breeds you donā€™t get rid of these genes you simply mix them all together.

Another misconception I have heard people say is that designer breeds such has labradoodles are healthier because the few breeders who do test, test for more health issues then purebreds. As I mentioned before there are many different health issue, so how do people pick which tests are needed? By how many dogs get affected by the issues. Like everything with breeding its not actually such a black and white answer.

There are 3 different categories:

-The health tests that have to be done (many dogs where/are affected by it)

-heath tests that donā€™t have to be done (few dogs are affected by it)

-heath tests that arenā€™t considered at all for the breed (very few to no dogs affected)

For example english springer spaniel (in the uk) do not require hip tests since its not really a issues in the breed, some breeders still test for it but it isnā€™t necessary like it would be for german shepherds.

There are also many breeds that only require hip tests and thats it. I have found the more health tests the breed requires the more popular the breed is or was, more bad breeders = unhealthier dogs

Another thing to consider is the difference between line-breeding and inbreeding. I have heard many different definitions of line-breeding, the most common one and what they all basically come done to is line-breeding is selective inbreeding and inbreeding is not necessarily selective.

What does that mean and why does it matter?

Selective inbreeding means you remove the dogs that have any faults or healthy issues from the breeding plan and only breed the healthy dogs. If you inbreed with out carefully selecting which dogs to breed you will breed in the health issues rather then breeding in the healthy genes

Inbreeding can still cause issue if you inbreed too much, however how much is too much depends on the species. Generally the first signs of too much inbreeding in a healthy line is fertility issues and smaller litters
It looks great!!

Back
Top Bottom