Dog thread!šŸ¾

yeah that could be an issuešŸ˜…I don't know much about herding so I wouldn't be much help with ideas

Of course, he's still young to so you shouldn't start practicing things like jumps or weaves and shouldn't let him get too overworked either
Right now his practice for agility can be playing with his best dog friend! They love to run around the yard at full speed and he gets practice weaving through obstacles like going between trees and under branches.

I don't think people with cows around here would appreciate my dog herding their cows either šŸ˜…

Tucker happily going on a walk half on leash, half off(leash still on but he was having fun running then running back to me, wouldn't go 10 feet without checking in on me, just as i taught him. And barely any barking besides at someone carrying a cat in a backpack)

Then Denver who wouldnt walk at all...

Sit, come, stay, the basics.
2 things I thought of you can try

First one you will need a platform that at least their front feet can fit on easily, not so high they can't get on it easily but not so low its hard to tell the difference between it and the floor. Lure them onto the platform, mark+reward, mark*+toss treat away, repeat. This will help them start to understand a lot of the concepts of training, coming back to you for a reward and interacting with objects in the environment as well

The other one is similar except you don't have the platform instead toss the treat, wait until they look at you then toss it again. Depending on the dog you might want to start either just dropping the treat or throwing it far away. Some dogs also benefit from a reward from your hand inbetween tosses or if you need it even easier just hold your hand flat with some treats on it, out of reach, mark and reward, using your other hand to give it to them

*I like using a different marker for thrown treats prevents them accidentally biting your hand and means you have 1 exciting marker that means they can move and one calmer marker that means they hold the position

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom