Dog tipped chickens back of neck exposed

Cheeky1

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2019
Treatment? I cleaned wound with diluted H202, put ointment on wound and sprayed vertericyn and placed her in a crate. She layed an egg while shortly after, my dog is a five month old Great Pyrenees. What can I do to ease pain

Do you have any pictures of the wound? Peroxide is okay for the first cleaning, but it can prevent wound healing, so I wouldn’t use it anymore. Use some Vetericyn or a similar wound spray from a feed store. Chlorhexidene 2% is also good to use. Or saline. Keep the wound covered with plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Is she alert and able to stand? Or is she is shock? If she seems to be in pain you can try giving a 1/2 a low dose 81 mg aspirin. Make sure that she has water and food closeby. In the morning, I would offer water upmto her beak.

Do you have any pictures of the wound? Peroxide is okay for the first cleaning, but it can prevent wound healing, so I wouldn’t use it anymore. Use some Vetericyn or a similar wound spray from a feed store. Chlorhexidene 2% is also good to use. Or saline. Keep the wound covered with plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Is she alert and able to stand? Or is she is shock? If she seems to be in pain you can try giving a 1/2 a low dose 81 mg aspirin. Make sure that she has water and food closeby. In the morning, I would offer water upmto her beak.
89C2053A-FDC9-4614-9626-CA258BF13322.jpeg

She made it through the night, she’s eating and drinking water. I let her out for a couple of hours separate from other hens. She walked around the yard fine. I reapplied ointment and wound spray. I haven’t heard her make a sound, is this normal?

It is good that she is up and about as well as eating and drinking. She is very lucky to be in such good condition. Hopefully, her voice will return, but with her neck injury, perhaps that is the reason for the voice loss. Let us know how she gets along.

It is good that she is up and about as well as eating and drinking. She is very lucky to be in such good condition. Hopefully, her voice will return, but with her neck injury, perhaps that is the reason for the voice loss. Let us know how she gets along.

I’m happy to report my battered hen is doing very well. We’ve been taking her out during the day. My husband thought she was doing so well that he put her in with the rest of the hens which ended up being a bad idea. She did fine for a bit, however while we were feeding dried worms she was pecked by another hen. She did a great job standing up for herself, She and another hen had a stand-off, which never happens with this group of hens. We quickly removed her due to her still having exposed wounds. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom