Dog toy to combat bordom

yyz0yyz0

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2012
Hi, had a thought the other day and wondered if it would be feasible with chickens.

I was collecting worms to take to a friends chickens, putting them into a small peanut butter jar for transport. So of course as I was filling this jar I was thinking how nuts the girls were gonna go when I dumped in the pile of worm. Then the little kid in me thought "oh, how cruel if I just threw the closed jar(plasitc) into the run and let them push it around trying to get to the worms inside.

That made me think of the ball/toy/feeder my son has for his dog. It's a ball that has some small holes in it and a filling port. You put a bunch of kibble in the ball, close it up and throw it down for your dog. As the dog plays with the ball and it rolls around the room pieces of kibble fall out to be gobbled up by the dog. Keeps him interested in playing with the ball for a long time as he gets rewards for playing with it.

So would some thing like this work with chickens, do they already make something like this? My biggest concern would be that it might cause problems for the flock as there may be 5-10 chickens chasing this ball around but only one piece of food falls out each time so they might start squabbling over hte pieces of food.

I thought is might help reduce boredom in the winter when they don't get out as much.

Back
Top Bottom