Dog Training and Behavior

Having tried balanced training, positive reinforcement has worked a LOT better.
I always start with a positive foundation for everything- it allows the dog to 'fail' in a safe space, where she can figure out what works and what doesn't. Makes for a stronger, and better, experience.

DB & SIL started doing this recently and make others do the same, totally ignore them until they calm down, and it’s amazing the difference hahah sometimes it take them a little while to calm down because they always go BALLISTIC when they see me but they had started jumping and mauling people again this year or maybe last even thing they had previously unlearned it so they started that haha cause Libby is a big powerful dog. You barely feel Frank 😂🤣

It still takes them a while to calm down cause I’m not over there a ton lately and they also don’t get why they have to cause I have previously always made a big deal and petted them all :oops: never crazy voice or anything but kind of rewarding the crazy I think even though I never allowed jumping. Because I was always so happy to see them too haha

But now they just go lie down 😂🤣

Not right away. It still takes maybe 5-10 minutes, maybe closer to 10 I guess or more, for every single one to calm down (because if you reward one they all get amped up again), but still. It helps for sure.

Dad and FIL are both not great with dogs and do big animated voices and get them going ballistic 😂🤣🤦‍♀️

DB & SIL also had to teach them to not follow them everywhere because she always got annoyed by that haha personally I wouldn’t mind and think it’s kind of cute but she got annoyed because it was like any time she got up to get a glass of water or anything they would always follow her there and back 😂🤣

Not they mostly just stay put in one of their beds of the floor haha

But they do still like to keep an eye on everything especially Franklin but I think they’re more relaxed not having to constantly worry about where the human is going haha
If they are having that much trouble settling down, you should (or suggest) working on High-Low-High energy games. Helps teach a dog to control themselves when they get all hyped up, and teaches them to settle down quickly. Our pup will settle in under a minute to a reasonable level, and will be snoozing on her bed in under five.

If they are having that much trouble settling down, you should (or suggest) working on High-Low-High energy games. Helps teach a dog to control themselves when they get all hyped up, and teaches them to settle down quickly. Our pup will settle in under a minute to a reasonable level, and will be snoozing on her bed in under five.
They don’t really have that much trouble usually, they just get really excited to see me hahah but they’ll tell them to go lay in the bed or whatever and they’ll do it and they’re pretty strict so they’re usually fine. It’s just with me. Although today when I saw them they were good and settled down pretty fast. But I think they were just tired haha they still do occasionally get hyped or whatever but they’ve calmed down a lot and are usually good now. :) they used to be absolutely insane hahaha

They don’t really have that much trouble usually, they just get really excited to see me hahah but they’ll tell them to go lay in the bed or whatever and they’ll do it and they’re pretty strict so they’re usually fine. It’s just with me. Although today when I saw them they were good and settled down pretty fast. But I think they were just tired haha they still do occasionally get hyped or whatever but they’ve calmed down a lot and are usually good now. :) they used to be absolutely insane hahaha
It sounds like they would still benefit from from impulse control and High-Low-High games, especially since dogs tend to feed off each other. Better for them to be capable of a behavior every time, rather than only when they're tired.

And with other people/guests they’re usually fine and get over it quickly. It’s just that they love me so much and get so excited :lau they only get that crazy for me. 😂🤣
That's what Rosie does. If we were gone for the day, or even an hour, she get sooooo excited and wiggles on the ground and whine and pee's everywhere and rolls over to get belly rubs

It sounds like they would still benefit from from impulse control and High-Low-High games, especially since dogs tend to feed off each other. Better for them to be capable of a behavior every time, rather than only when they're tired.
I’ve done some of this stuff with them before but not in a while haha I might try it again but I don’t really see them that much and they’re a lot better now but like you said, they do all feed on each other haha that’s why we’ve started ignoring them when we come in and they calm down a lot faster. But they’re way calmer now than they were when they were younger. They’ve really gotten pretty good and they wait at the door, wait for food, wait when we release one from the crate, go in their beds, etc. so they’re pretty good with the impulses thing now. They still sometimes get excited on walks though but they’re mostly good. I think Libby would need it more because she does still sometimes act puppy like and get hyped but she’s like 80 pounds so it’s dangerous and she’s also fixated on the chickens when she comes by whereas the other two got the hint pretty quickly when I told them to leave it. She just doesn’t hear me. But that and me coming over are really the only time she gets super hyped now. They’ve worked hard on getting her to ignore people and dogs on walks so she does that easily now. It’s just when she sees like a fox/wildlife or the chickens or me, certain situations. But they all used to be crazy and not listen and stuff cause they’d get so wound up playing but they’ve all gotten a lot better and listen really well now for the most part. Just Libby is a bit goofy and puppy like sometimes hahah I think cause of her breed mix 😂🤣 I think I might try working on some of this stuff next time I’m there.

That's what Rosie does. If we were gone for the day, or even an hour, she get sooooo excited and wiggles on the ground and whine and pee's everywhere and rolls over to get belly rubs
Awwww silly thing hahah yesterday I was about to leave and one of the dogs came up with is but then I went back in to say bye to the others and came back out and he came trotting over tail wagging like he hadn’t just seen me a minute ago 😂🤣🥰

Fascinating! We have three labradoodles (don't laugh). They've learned just about everything I've taught them. I love the idea that you've used rescue dogs for your trainees! Good luck! Keep us posted! :frow
I would never laugh! They’re good dogs. :) I know some people have problems with them and I do somewhat have problems with the million and one other poodle crosses they make these days but labradoodles and goldendoodles have been around for a while now and there’s even some good breeders cropping up now

Back
Top Bottom