Dog Training Motivation needed: 1st class was tonight!

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 2 yr old shepherd mix that I got from a shelter at 3 months old.....he was sweet and quiet and shy at the shelter. Just what I was looking for! Then I got him home and he turned into a demon. Super hyperactive and crazy.....sweet dog, but he just has NO impulse control. He wants to do something and he does it. Easily distracted. Extremely active. He is a neutered male, about 60lbs.

I used to work at a shelter and if he had ended up at that shelter he would have failed all the testing due to his total lack of Impulse control.....and he is almost impossible to calm down once he gets worked up. He just gets in a frenzy. No aggression. He got accidently locked in his crate with my CAT one time, for 8 hours while I was at work. Everybody came out just fine. I'm sure they glared at each other all day, but no injuries. He also broke into my chicken tractor once.....no injuries to the chicken, he just wanted the poop and food apparently.

Total pain in the butt.

Here are my issues. He has separation anxiety, so I have to keep him crated while gone. I tried weaning him off the crate and he ate my dining room table and chairs, ripped up the curtains, ripped off the baseboards, chewed the outside of the crate, and pooped and peed everywhere. This is while confined to the dining room during the day. So he stays in his big wire crate instead. He has tried to climb over and dig under my outside fence, so I don't trust him out there. I did add electric wire to the top which helps, but he will still try to dig under, I think.

I have to stress he is a nice dog. Very friendly. Just no manners most of the time. He is very smart. He HAS learned certain things. He learned very early on to ring a bell on the backdoor to go out to potty...I'm talking within a few weeks of me getting him. He waits for me to pour his food before eating. He will stop and sit at the open gate and not leave until I say OK. Same with my back gate. He can be loose around my chickens without any carnage (supervised only).

So he is very smart, I just struggle to teach him anything. He gets overexcited and upset and just ends up in a frenzy. Like a temper tantrum. When he was younger I distinctly remember trying to get him to stop standing at the fence barking at the neighbor's dogs. i finally went over and got him by the collar to take him back inside, and he threw himself on the ground kicking at me trying to get awa to go back and bark.

Obnoxious.

How the heck do I train this dog? he is obviously trainable. He knows how to sit on command (whoo). He sits at the open gates, he will go in his crate when I snap my fingers and point and tell him to get in his house. How the heck do I motivate this monster? It is bad enough that when I have someone come over, he will be jumping on the walls and barking and won't stop....even if I stick him in his crate, he will be barking and throwing himself around. Absolutely throwing a fit. He throws a lot of fits. How do I teach this dog some patience, manners....impulse control? It all seems to come back to that. He has none and I want to create some. Now how the heck do I do it?
LOL

Last edited:
IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

happyfrankie.jpg

For an idea of his activity level....

frankiesnow.jpg

He sounds like a typical shepherd. He needs a job. He needs a focus for his energy. I would highly recommend finding an agility trainer. You would think that running and jumping for an hour would make them more excited, but it really does focus them. Also, I would pick up the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt. It is designed for the easily distracted/excitable dog. The exercises use a clicker and work on focusing attention then slowly increasing the time that focus is held. I saw a big improvement in my Aussie when I did it as well as many of the German Shepherds in the class. You'll need a good supply of treats. I get the Natural Balance food and cut it into tiny pieces. A big roll will make three ziplock bags full and I freeze them until I'm ready to use them. Some of the exercises will also use toys, so you want to find a toy that motivates him whether is be a squeek toy or tug rope. I do highly recommending working with a good trainer. Someone who actively participates in shows with a history in animal behavior training. Not Petsmart. Having a second set of experienced eyes can make all the difference in the world.

I don't know if you are looking for someone to help train him or do it on your own or how far you are willing to travel. I am going to The Highland Canine training in Harmony North Carolina. Jason Purgason has trained all kinds of dogs with behavorial problems to police dogs. I am going there with my GSD for search and Rescue. We started off with S.T.A.R. pupy classes and all the trainers are great to work with. They will even take your dog and train him for you then teach you how to continue. Anyway thought that might interest you. He has saved a lot of dogs that would otherwise have been eutanized from animal shelters.

Don't worry about crating him when you're gone .. mine are ALWAYS crated when we're not home.. keeps them out of trouble.

I would attach this dog to you. We have one that we have to do that too .. he paces and whines and thinks he has to look out all the windows, barks at everything, energy energy energy. BUT when he's attached to one of us, it's almost like the pressure is off him. He'll lay down and settle. If I'm in the kitchen, he's in the kitchen .. if I'm doing laundry, he's doing laundry.. (I thinkt they used to call it umbilical cord training)

Also .. agility .. or any intense CONTROLLED exercise. Free exercise does NOT do the same thing. CONTROLLED exercise works the body AND the brain. Rio can run like a freak outside with the other dog and still come in hyper .. but 1 hour of agility training, and he crashes for the night.

Jogging on a leash, obstacles, and even walking controlled on a leash is better for the brain.

Good luck with your pup. We love our Rio, and have accepted is weirdness. We call him Ri-Ri-tard. Or Ri-Yo-Yo ... "He's tarded, but he can't help it" .. lol

The first thing to realize is this will take a tremendous consistent amount of work on your part! First thing is to make sure there is nothing physically wrong with him. When was the last time he had a vet exam and you told the vet what behavioral problems you were having with him at home? Maybe your dog would benefit from an anti-anxiety drug or a natural supplement like melatonin which would allow him to focus his attention better. How much exercise per day does he get? I don't mean running around by himself in the back yard. I'm talking about full-out, hard running for exercise with you or someone else, at least 3-4 miles per day. Remember, a tired dog is a happy dog. What does he eat and how much protein does it contain? You want a good quality food that doesn't have a lot of useless filler ingredients and it should have an appropriate amount of protein, like around 18-20%. This is what I feed and my dogs love it. Don't be confused that it says "low fat" and your dog doesn't need "diet" food. It's for less-active dogs and therefore has less protein in it to maintain high energy. Who is the leader in your house? I see in your sig line that you have two other dogs. Where does this guy fit in the pack? Remember that you are always the leader. You eat first, you go out of doors/gates first (you're already doing this a little from what you say), you get the best seat in the house, you get the pick of whatever. Sounds like your guy might need to be reminded that nothing in life is free (be sure to click that link) and he has to work for everything he gets. I'd also echo that you need extra help with your dog. He sounds like a handful and very frustrating to work with for someone who isn't a dog trainer. Keep in mind that his behavior can be modified and I'm so happy to hear that you don't want to give up on him. Too many dogs wind up back in the shelter because the adopter didn't anticipate the dog's behavior could change once removed from that environment.

Finally, good for you for being a shelter worker!! I was too when I lived in Texas. Now I own a dog boarding and daycare business in Oregon. Can't imagine life without doggies!
love.gif
Good luck!!!!

Beautiful dog! - I pretty much agree with everything that everyone else is saying. He needs to see you as the dominant and he needs to know that you have everything under control and you need not worry. I had a dog very similar. I found an excellent training facility where I learned more than any other participant in the class. In the end, he was an amazing dog. And my experience is after 2, a lot of dogs mellow.

Good Luck! Stick with him!

Thanks for all the replies.

I was always a big advocate of every dog going through an obedience class. My older shepherd mix has gone through multiple classes, including advanced obedience. My shepherd mix prior to these (who died in 05 at 14.5 yrs old) had her CGC and had gone through multiple classes as well. Then I moved out here and between work and where I live, haven't found anything workable. I live too far from the classes I know, to make it after work. He could really benefit from a group obedience class (or 20, LOL) for socialization purposes. He is fine at the vet, he just doesn't get out much and needs to learn to work around distractions. I can't afford a private trainer......I may have to look into group classes again and see if I can find anything closer. He would probably be great at agility, but definitely needs a few regular obedience sessions under his belt first. The only non-weeknight group classes I could find were Petsmart and those aren't even worth the time, effort or money, IMO.

Someone asked about group dynamics....I have 3 dogs total, all spayed/neutered shelter rescues. Frankie, the culprit of this all.....and Toby, a 12 year old shepherd mix (same size as Frankie) and Bella a little toy poodle (probably 10-12 yrs old also). They don't get along very well. Frankie LOVES them, but is too rough with them and just wants to play and play and play. He and toby are well matched for about 10 minutes, then Toby is too exhausted to continue and I have to split them up. Bella doesn't like Frankie very much and he likes to antagonize her. Neither of my older dogs are aggressive, and just never put him into his place. Bella tries but she is so small she is like a fly buzzing around him. Toby is very submissive and just comes and tries to hide behind me when Frankie is being obnoxious
roll.png

He just wants to play, play, play. I toyed with the idea of getting another young dog so he would have someone to play with....since the others are both so much older.........but what if I ended up with TWO frankies? Holy cow, I would throw myself off a cliff.

I have no dominance issues with Frankie. He is submissive towards me. Not peeing on himself, rolling over and showing his belly submissive, but he is definitely not trying to be the alpha in our relationship.

I've never done clicker training, but am familiar with the concept. Honestly, I love the idea of early training and have always started my dogs early.....Frankie would have been wearing the dunce cap in the corner. He had NO FOCUS at all. I remember writing him off as "too young to focus" and have never really tried major training since. Other than the gate manners (because he has darted before and I am a stickler for gate manners) and the food manners. He is very food motivated, so that will help.

A big part of his problem is that he does not get enough exercise. I work long days and by the time I get home, he goes out back with me to put the chickens away and may run around back there a bit but that is it. I have a half acre fenced on a hill (pretty steep in parts), so he can burn some serious energy out there, but he has ran for hours at a time without slowing down (argh).

TBH, he acts like he is part border collie. Maybe he is shepherd/border collie? That would be an accurate description of his behavior issues. Picture a border collie in an apartment with a single owner who works all day. There we are. I don't live in an apartment, but he is crated so it is the same idea.

Thanks for the info. Keep any ideas coming. I may try to 'attach' him to me, and also work on his basic obedience myself while I search for classes. Any normal dog should know sit, down, stay, heel and shake. He only knows sit and to walk relatively nicely on leash (no true heel). I guess part of it is my fault for never catching him back up on his training. A solid stay would be helpful. And a leave it.....

Last edited:
Our trainer suggested a very inexpensive and irresistable treat...Cut hot dogs lengthwise in half and cut those lengths in 1/2 again (lenthwise), then cut across into tidbit size. Then bake on parchment paper on a baking pan at 250 degrees for about 30-45 mins, or until dry. They make excellent not-messy treats. Buddy LOVES them and they are very motivating! We use the turkey dogs so they're not fattening. Good luck - you've gotten some good suggestions here. Once you get him to focus on you, no matter what else is going on, you're on your way!

Good suggestions here, and I can relate to having a dog that has a hard time focusing, and mine isn't very food motivated either! With age and daily walks, mine has settled down a bit, but he used to throw tantrums just like you described when he was younger. He has a knack for learning tricks pretty quickly, but will only do them a couple times before he is bored of them...

The only other thing I can suggest is that you maybe try to find a neighbor/middle or high school student that could maybe take him on walks a few times a week in the afternoon. Obviously this can be a challenge, as you have to find someone trustworthy, someone that knows how to handle him, and it costs money, but it could definitely help...just a thought! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom