Dog training Question. GSD

At least you are aware that there is a danger to this behavior. As a motorcyclist, I can assure you that errant beetles and loose rocks kicked up by your own front tires are not limited to dirt roads or when you are following closely behind someone. They are a risk on any roadway, and many's the time I was grateful to be wearing a helmet with face shield down! I've also seen more than one dog jump out of a moving car through a rolled down window, at least one of those resulting in surgery to put the poor dog's hip back in place. But if it is a risk you are comfortable taking then good luck to you. For me, my dogs (currently I've not owned another breed other than GSDs) are not allowed to stick their heads out open windows, even if we are going slowly, not just because of the foreign object danger but also because it allows me to have some measure of control over them. They are also not allowed to come into the front seat, "car surf" (putting their paws on the center console between the two front seats), or stand while the vehicle is in motion. Again, it allows me to have control over them and it is safer for them in case of an unexpected incident. With a large dog so reactive that he is literally hitting the window to lunge and bark at people you may have to face the reality that you need to have better control over him for his own safety and yours than allowing him to stick his head out the window affords.

Currently, I do not let this dog stick his out window. Cause yes, he can't be trusted to not jump out window etc.

As for needing better control over him, yes I agree. Think that was the whole reason for my orginal post.. So yes I agree, I need better control over him.. That's where hopefully, better training comes in. Not sure if you missed the part, that I don't take him as many places as I would like. Because of this problem. But still would like him to be able to enjoy life, if I can learn how to respond better.

As for not allowing them to be dogs and say stick their heads out a window. Yup dangerous, I agree. So in running in the bush. My old dog $1200.00 foot surgery, cause he hurt himself running in the bush. This dog, $400.00 surgery, cause I let him off leash to pee, on our property. Vet said it was a stick or fence line, that cut his throat area.. (even though we searched area, and couldn't find it)

Prehaps, I should not run my dog of leash in the forest. Or maybe I should not let my dog pee off leash at 4 am, to pee. In the country, when I'm outside with him.

Accidents happen, and yes as responsible pet owners, we try to avoid these things. But things happen, accidents I think their called.. Please keep in mind, these things have happened over 12 years time.. With that being said, after foot injury, we quit walking in that part of the bush. (Vet said rocks can do it) This being said, I don't run my dogs in this area of the forest anymore.. Cause there's a lot of rocks.
As soon as I told vet where we wear, who has dogs and runs them in same forest. You know what she said.. Where were you. I said limerk.. Oh you were in limrick, I go there all the time with my dogs. What trail were you on.. Why cause even the vet, runs her dogs.. Even though there's a chance of injury.

And yes tomorow we are getting ice rain and snow, I will still go to work. Cause That's what we do here. We put snow tires on our cars, and drive careful. Cause here, winter is at least 1/4 of the year. So no we don't stay in doors, every time it snows. Risky yes, but really..Realty is if you want to live in this part of Canada. You go outside when it snows..

So yes, pretty sure, I have a grip on realty... Maybe next time, you can read all the post before you post on my realty? Cause if window was down half an inch, he would so break the glass and be gone..
At least you are aware that there is a danger to this behavior. As a motorcyclist, I can assure you that errant beetles and loose rocks kicked up by your own front tires are not limited to dirt roads or when you are following closely behind someone. They are a risk on any roadway, and many's the time I was grateful to be wearing a helmet with face shield down! I've also seen more than one dog jump out of a moving car through a rolled down window, at least one of those resulting in surgery to put the poor dog's hip back in place. But if it is a risk you are comfortable taking then good luck to you. For me, my dogs (currently I've not owned another breed other than GSDs) are not allowed to stick their heads out open windows, even if we are going slowly, not just because of the foreign object danger but also because it allows me to have some measure of control over them. They are also not allowed to come into the front seat, "car surf" (putting their paws on the center console between the two front seats), or stand while the vehicle is in motion. Again, it allows me to have control over them and it is safer for them in case of an unexpected incident. With a large dog so reactive that he is literally hitting the window to lunge and bark at people you may have to face the reality that you need to have better control over him for his own safety and yours than allowing him to stick his head out the window affords.

I like what Jamie... Said about going slow, start in car in garage, drive, on road stopped. I would just go back one step further, does he get excited between house and car ? If he is , I'd work on walking him calmly on loose leash to the van.

I like to keep everything real simple.I don't like to give definitions for behaviors or training techniques it is confusing and things that I don't care to try and remember.I have trained dogs for 10yrs now and am a very good handler now.I have learned alot.Progress is the name of the game.You can always get better and learn more.Every dog is alittle bit different and requires individual twicking in your game.So one size does not fit all.Have lots of tools in your box.Read as much as you can the web is an excellent source of info.,go to different classes take what you need and leave the rest.I have learned I don't like traditional training techniques which are abit old school but I also have to use some type of neg correction to make the dog solid so mistakes are training opportunities.So teach first,proof then correct but don't correct if the dog is confused.Remember the 3 D's of training.Distance,Duration and distractions but do not work on all three at one time until late so even though you say your dog sits,comes,downs etc do they really do that all the time,and on the first command?Can you tell the dog to sit,she takes the sit any place anytime anywhere holds it for anytime and at any distance from you under any circumstance? That is training and that is what takes time.So until she can do that she really does not have it down.So call her back while chasing a ball,or throw a burger out in front of her while on a down etc.that is the distraction or the proofing,take the show on the road,after it is solid at home practice it at the park at the grocery store parking lot in front of the mall etc.those are the distractions that is the proofing,but it all takes time.And your timing needs to be quick and precise praising too late may teach un wanted behaviors etc.Keep learning,keep reading keep working at it.Your rewards are 100% don't give up,remember to be patient.Give praise and adjust,Dogs also have short attention so keep your sesssions short 10-20min fun and leave them wanting more. Good LUck I love training dogs.I only give my creditials to show I am not just some know it all.I have earned my position in the dog training world,and I go out and compete and I watch and learn from others all the time.

I am very sorry you were so very offended by my post.
hide.gif
That was not my intent at all. Long story short, not letting a dog stick his head out the window is NOT depriving him of a happy life as a dog. My dogs, and my friends' dogs who are also not allowed to stick their head out the window of a moving car window, are all extremely happy and excited for car rides. Not sticking their head out the window does not in any way shape or form diminish their enjoyment of riding in the car and going on quick errands around town with us. I totally understand taking calculated risks. My dog literally walked the pads off his front paws this summer, yet it will not stop me from doing an 11 mile off-leash hike again in the future. My old dog on several occasions injured herself on off-leash hikes, but she enjoyed them so much and it was such a big part of our outdoor life that avoiding them all together was not an option. I ride motorcycles and work with large aggressive dogs, I understand that hiding at home under the covers to avoid risks is no way to live life and it is not something I was suggesting in any way at all. But you need to face the reality that while training your nutcase dog may improve his behavior to the point that he can come along with you in much the same way your old dog did, he may never be able to stick his head out the window without undoing all of your hard work at getting him to be non-reactive. The first step in correcting any problem behavior that is self rewarding (like this one) is to come up with a way to prevent the behavior all together so that the dog can't continue to be reinforced for it. My first dog was a neurotically frightened dog, never to the point of aggression when we were around (although we couldn't leave her in the car with the windows down because she would lung through the window if someone walked past...if she was outside of the car and a stranger walked by she would simply walk away but in the car she felt trapped and since flight was not an option she was going to get them before they got her), but taking her in public places with lots of other people was always stressful for both her and us. It took literally years of training to get her to the point where it wasn't so stressful that it absolutely wasn't worth it if we were going out in public, but even to the very end of her life if we were going somewhere very busy she stayed home. Yes, training will improve your dog's behavior a lot, but it's going to take time and it may never be quite to the point that you would really like. Good luck, you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Back
Top Bottom