Dog Treat Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Acre of Blessings, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    i am looking for a good Dog Treat Recipe. Everyone in my family has a dog or dogs and I thought about making some dog treats for their pets for Christmas.

If you have one post it here.

I'd like one that you bake in the oven like cookies.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    This is one I have made.
    http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Everyday Biscuits.htm

Everyday Biscuits

2 teaspoons dry yeast
    1/2 cup lukewarm water
    2 tablespoons dry parsley
    2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 egg
    5-6 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the parsley, garlic, broth, honey, and egg. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.

Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Using small bone-shaped cookie cutters, make biscuits! Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Let cool overnight. (After we finish baking all batches of biscuits, we turn off the oven, then spread all the biscuits out on one baking sheet and set them in the oven to cool overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crispier and crunchier.)

Makes several dozen small bones that keep and freeze well

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:I prefer to use the Halloween kitty ones. The dogs finally get their revenge from the mean kitties! [​IMG]

I'll have to try that one Terrie. Haven't tried one with parsley and honey. I don't suppose it would hurt to throw in some carrots as well. They [​IMG] carrots!

4. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thanks Terri.....I have everything but the whole wheat flour.......I'll be getting that today [​IMG]

Have you ever made any that had shredded meat in it? Just curious.

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I prefer to use the Halloween kitty ones. The dogs finally get their revenge from the mean kitties! [​IMG]

I'll have to try that one Terrie. Haven't tried one with parsley and honey. I don't suppose it would hurt to throw in some carrots as well. They [​IMG] carrots!

LOL... priceless!!!! [​IMG]

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thanks everyone.....I am gonna get to baking some. My 10 yr old daughter found us a dog bone cookie cutter in JoAnns the other day so now we can tell ours apart from the dogs [​IMG]

8. babettenj

babettenj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    i have an easy treat recipe. it's basically a muffin recipe, but i make mini muffins then pop them out of the pan and then bake some more in the oven to dry them so they're crunchy and shelf stable. find the recipe and video here http://www.babettesnjfeast.com/search?q=game+night

9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Quote:I used this recipe today. My Scottie dog is very happy now!
    ETA: even my raw-fed Mastiff likes 'em!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    ^^^ I gifted my girlfriends 5 Mastiffs at a Holiday Party last night and they ALL loved these treats.
    I'm making more today for my coworkers that I don't so much like anymore.
    I can genuinely feel good about giving their dog a treat and stay true to myself, and not give unkind people gifts because of tradition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by